sticky / sluggish valves - help please

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Farmer Giles, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

i am suffering from a sluggish 3rd valve on my cornet.
    reoiling does some short term good, but usually only lasts one rehearsal.
    i have cleaned the valves using soapy water and also a little bit of bicarbonate of soda and replaced the valve springs.
    any ideas ?
  2. stotty74

stotty74 Member

I was having a similar problem a few months ago. Valves worked for about an hour after oiling, and then started going sluggish. I tried everything you suggested but nothing worked.

Eventually i asked my PC what he though, and he suggested that the valve oil i was using was too thick, so i got some thinner stuff and it worked:)

Have you changed oils recently? The fact its only affecting your 3rd valve may point to something else though, so sorry if this has been completely pointless;)
  3. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

interesting thought on the valve oil.
    i have been using al cass for about a year now, and was using blue juice before that.
  4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Get them looked at by a decent repairman - there could be some dirt on the inside of the casings, they might be slightly out of alignment, there could be a different reason behind the problem.
    If you want a valve oil suggestion, try some Wick
  5. dizzy068

dizzy068 Member

I had terrible trouble with my Euph valves being sticky and sluggish for ages, I tried all sorts of oil & cleaning remedies I read on here. Eventually I relented and took it to an instrument repairer (!) for £50 I got a complete overhaul of all the valves and slides, the main problem diagnosed was that my valve casing in 2 of the valves was no longer circular!! repair man reckoned it may have been sat on at one time!! The result is my 20yr old instrument now looks and plays like new.
  6. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

I've seen suggestions on tMP that rotary valve oil (the red stuff) put on to valves worked... I'll have a search and point you to the thread.
  7. Forest Gump

Forest Gump Member

You could try using a metal polish on the valve and then use blue juice this has always worked for me.