Stick Grip Help/Tips

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Terrible Timp, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Terrible Timp

Terrible Timp Member

Apologies if this has already been asked by someone, somewhere.

I seem to be having problems in rehearsals with keeping hold of my sticks (yeah a problem i know) they always somehow seem to slip out of my hands when i really could do with keeping them where they are. It's not that my hands are noticably sweaty (and i have a bar towel with me just in case they do) and i don't feel that it's the handle of my sticks/my grip on them which is effecting it.

In the past i have tried using a grip power similar to that used by golfers but that was just messy and felt horrible when playing !

Does anyone have any/tips or possible solutions to the fact that i quite regularly throw my sticks in the direction or the basses or troms ????

Thanks in advance

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    sticks
    Tips Apologies
    Stick Grip Help
    grip power similar
    rehearsals
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Talcum Powder...?

4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Gloves?

5. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

6. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

If you're on kit, Zildjian do a range of rubber-dipped sticks for a short-term solution.

7. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Velcro ?

8. stopher

stopher Member

Seen one or two shedbuilders with plasters wrapped around the stick - not the slippy plasticy type but the material ones which look really healthy after a bit!

Failing that, No More Nails should do!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Sharpen them?

[Sorry ... coat ... ]

10. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Ive seen abit of towel wrapped round and seletaped on kit sticks, possibly good for grip and stopping sweaty hands!!

11. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

lmao! :clap:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    sticks
    Tips Apologies
    Stick Grip Help
    grip power similar
    rehearsals
  13. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Gorilla Snot is supposed to be good. I've never used it myself though.

14. jim

jim Member

You may want to ask Weenie from Polysteel or Bren Raynor from Soverighn both are exspert kit players and to of the finest in britain in the brass band wourld.

15. Brian

Brian Member

Super Glue? lol

16. iaindrum

iaindrum Member

Gorilla snot is prob the best, but I would say the reason for you dropping the sticks is down to technique, so I would reccommend you work on that rather than buy any of these products.......... superglue sounds good though

17. Terrible Tuba

Terrible Tuba Member

Last year the guy helping us out on Base drum for Whit Sunday then Whit Friday night was having similar problems with sticks slipping out of his hands on the Whit Sunday march.
    So he went to JJB sports and bought some bindings that are used for Tennis Racket Grip approx £3, put them on both the sticks and put a wrap of Black insulation tape at each end of the Binding to ensure that they did not come loose.
    He played all whit Friday night with no further problems. The only drawback you may find would be that it makes the girp on the stick a little more bulky in the hand. For the price it's probably worth a try.

18. Terrible Timp

Terrible Timp Member

Thanks for all you're ideas so far might give a few of these a whirl, please do keep them coming.

19. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Thats the stuff I was kinda thinking on when I said use a bit of a towel and stick it to it! Just couldnt mind exactly what it was!!

20. ian schofield

ian schofield New Member

21. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

22. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

And while you're viewing that webby Drew, see if they do some sticks that hit the timps in time too!! :biggrin: ;)