Steven Fry on Classical Music

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by nethers, Jan 20, 2012.

1. nethers

nethers Active Member

This may be commonly shared in the UK for all I know but never seen it down here on the right side of the world...

Well worth a few minutes of your time and should be compulsory viewing in music class.

[video=youtube;fkZVcwPCKsM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkZVcwPCKsM[/video]

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Steven Fry
    Andi
    work
    kind
  3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Thanks for posting that. Very entertaining.

4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I stood up in front of the university debating society once or twice (Not THAT university though) - but I never delivered anything approaching being half that eloquent.

Nor in all honesty do I wonder why not. A different league....

5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

This is Stephen Fry in top form. I want to show this to my form - but school bans YouTube! - Buqqer!

6. nethers

nethers Active Member

7. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

It's good that the debate was won by the 'for' Classical Music'!

8. mikelyons

Thanks Marc, it did help and the video sparked a lively debate which brought a wider audience into my form room! Apparently the discussion could be heard across half the school!

9. nethers

nethers Active Member

He certainly presents his case in a way that gets the emotions rolling, I think this is a great classroom tool to encourage discussion on the subject.

I am pleased it got your students talking! Hope they reached the 'right' conclusion ;)

10. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I've had the privilege of listening to a speech made by him when he received an honorary doctorate at a ceremony I was playing at. Brilliant man, very funny!

11. Fantastic. I am not acquainted with the man.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Steven Fry
    Andi
    work
    kind
  13. mikelyons

But he's been to America! ;-)

14. I watched a little of the clips on youtube. He evidently speaks on a number of topics.

15. mikelyons

He's frighteningly intelligent and knowledgeable on a range of subjects, witty and charming and totally self-effacing - but he still has a degree of humanity and the ability to make mistakes that nobody notices.
    (Mozart didn't die in a pauper's grave)

16. Thirteen Ball

Indeed not - one would have to be in a very odd situation to find onesself in a pauper's grave before death and then to suffers some fatal mishap.....

Of course he died in bed, but was buried in a pauper's grave. Simply goes to show that even the most erudite among us are subject to the old 'lapsus lingue' when speaking live.

17. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

But was he though? I know that's the popular belief but I was taught he'd been buried in a 'mass grave' with 4 or 5 other bodies which would then have been dug up and relocated (somewhere in Vienna's St Marx Cemetary) after about 15-20 years - apparently it was standard practice at that time and nothing to do with wealth or poverty.

Boc on.... sorry! :oops:

18. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

The magnificent Mr Fry, at his wonderful best.

If ever there was someone I'd invite around for dinner - given the choice of anyone... he'd be one of, if not the strongest contender.

19. mikelyons

I think mass graves were largely reserved for the poor? Rich people had mausoleums and family vaults. (The family vault)

20. Thirteen Ball

Indeed true - however Mozart did die practically penniless.

21. mikelyons

...although Constanza was comparatively well off.

22. Thirteen Ball

Hmm.... a little homework shows (as with an enormous amount of history) that the generally believed version of events is mostly fallacy. Though he was definitely buried in a shared grave, this doesn't necessarily equate to the state of penury he almost undoubtedly died in.

There's quite an interesting article on about.com covering the stories surrounding mozart's death and subsequent burial, and it seems Mr Fry may have been as well-deceived by the mists of ages as the rest of us, as a lot of it's corroborated elsewhere with a little trawling of google. You can find it here http://europeanhistory.about.com/od/famouspeople/a/dyk11.htm but the summary is below.

I do enjoy an article that poses questions as well as answering them. But the records appear beyond doubt. It seems I was somewhat misled by the 'general ignorance' from which society suffers as well.....