Stereotypification (wot?)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by The Wherryman, Apr 5, 2008.

1. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

It’s all too easy to stereotype a whole group of people having simply observed, or having been the subject of the inconsiderate, careless or spiteful action of a minority of that group.

For example, a motorist, having been delayed on his way to an important appointment by a tractor driver who failed to pull off the road despite several opportunities arising, or a cyclist who refused to allow him to overtake safely by riding in the middle of the road might consider all tractor drivers/cyclists to be selfish, car-hating individuals who should be “cut-up” at every opportunity.

Conversely, having received verbal and/or digital abuse from said car driver, the tractor driver/cyclist might form a similar opinion about all car drivers and go out of their way to cause maximum delays.

Have you been almost scythed down by a suicidal skate-boarder, had your tights laddered by a trolley terrorist? Without referring to race/religion etc, what group might you have considered adversely stereotyping and why?

If you are a member of any of the groups that may be mentioned, please do not be offended. You are one of the considerate majority and we don’t mean you.

My starter is ANGLERS – I have witnessed water birds suffering having ingested hooks and line left about by careless anglers, therefore all anglers must be responsible (not)

2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Chavs, they should all be shot :biggrin:

3. The Wherryman

I think that's being sorted - check out the piccy for the April caption thread :)

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Having cycled for many years until fairly recently I have developed a dislike to other cyclists who use pedestrian pathways (pavements) instead of using roads. I was almost mown down a few months ago by someone who thought he had the right to use the pavement and critcised me for not looking out for him! :mad:

5. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I believe all non-cyclists sould be hung drawn and octetted

And just a thought, should your stereotypical typist ride tandem?

6. Hells Bones

Well, being a goth myself (Not as much as I used to be) I have been following the trial of those five chavs who are accused of GBH and Murder.

To be honest I don't believe a word of their "Yeah, I kicked the s**t out of him but I didn't touch her" defense.

And I have had a few run-in's with them myself. I say run-in's, it was more of a I was walking home after band with a black ankle length jacket on, long hair and black clothing and I was insulted, chased and even attacked by gangs of Chavs who didn't like the way I looked

7. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I always thought that the male body builders you see hogging the weights in gyms were a rather vain lot. Its the way they pose in front of the mirrors and then look around to see who might be admiring their physique.
    I am sure I am wrong!

8. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Sure they weren`t after your trombone?:)

9. Hells Bones

It used to happen if I had my trombone or not. I used to practise at a music centre in the town centre so my trombone was generally locked up there

10. T Winch

T Winch Member

BMW Drivers
    Nuff said!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    FONT=Tahoma
    Stereotypification
    FONT
    COLOR
    Black
  12. The Wherryman

Dog owners - who don't clean up their poochie's poohsies!

13. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Care to elaborate Trevor?

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

14. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Especially BBb Bass playing BMW drivers who live in Seaham...

15. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

What exactly is it about BBb Bass playing BMW drivers who live in Seaham that ruffles your feathers so Colin?

Is it the vast quantities of beer that we consume or our dashing good looks?

16. T Winch

T Winch Member

I understood the thread related to the stereotypification of particular groups of people and that not all people in the said group necessarily showed all the charactaristics of the stereotype and I forgot what type of car our rather large BBb player drove.....I'll get me coat :D

17. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Ha ha ha ha!

I understand what you mean entirely though Trevor. I myself get completely vexed at a vast majority of BMW drivers, given that they are usually so far up behind you that you can acutally see the whites of their eyes, winds me up no end.

Please note: I am not of this category of BMW drivers

18. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Fortunately, living where I do there are cycle paths virtually everywhere, unfortunately, pedestrians still use them and feel they have the right to moan when cyclists get in the way! I cycle everywhere and hate the stereotyping. Yes lots of cyclists don't bother with lights, go through red lights and cycle on the paths, but just because others do, doesn't mean I do!

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

My local circumstances are the opposite, with no official cycle paths nearby! Isn't it illegal for cyclists to use pavements?

20. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

I'll second that:clap:

21. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I'll be watching you;)

For me, it's people who take The Guardian literally and have a go at me for driving a car. I live in a village with very little reliable public transport. I work all over the country (40K miles per year) and often come home during the hours when public transport does not run. I am totally fed up with being told about my ******** carbon footprint! Our looney government is trying to price me out of a job and then tells me it's my fault.

This beautiful world we live in has survived countless billion years, ice ages, meteorite showers, wars, famine. I'm not making much difference in my Mazda!

Sorry about the rant folks, it's late and I'm ****** off. My stereotypical prejudice is against holier-than-though environmentalists who bang on about carbon footprints, recycling, global warming (which has been proven to not exist) and the like. After which they then get in their Range Rovers, content in the knowledge that they're ok, cos it's a diesel.

Lovely mods, feel free to remove this post and tell me off if you want. I will take my punishment like a man. Say three hail Marys and a blessed Ken Livingstone....

;););)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    FONT=Tahoma
    Stereotypification
    FONT
    COLOR
    Black