Stephen Sykes (Jnr) appears on TV Tue 16th May - 9pm BBC4

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by ROBWILLIAMS, May 16, 2006.

ROBWILLIAMS New Member

Stephen Sykes jnr., Solo Trombone of the Aldbourne Band, will be appearing on BBC 4 at 9pm Tuesday 16th May on BBC Young Musician 2006.

For those of you in band rehearsal (like we are at Aldbourne), don't forget to set your Videos!

Rob Williams
    Publicity Officer,
    Aldbourne Band
  2. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I watched the keyboard and percussion semi finals last night - the young girl who qualified on piano was truely excellent. Hopefully I shall get the chance to watch the brass tonight :tup
  3. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Glad you put this on, didn't know it was on tonight. Thanks :tup
  4. HBB

HBB Active Member

I saw it! It was well good! :)

everyone played ace :D
  5. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Saw the programme but to be honest was a bit disappointed with it. Why the BBC can't show more of the performances I don't know. Why does it have to be edited? There are enough channels and hours in the day to be able to have shown this competition in full. But then again it's not sport is it? (and before anyone jumps on me, I enjoy a lot of sports programmes).

I hope the final is broadcast in full. As a TV spectator of this competition, you can't get the feel for the performances like the judges and audience there can. Without listening to the soloist's full performance, you can't really make your own judgement about how well they performed. I was left feeling a bit 'robbed'. :biggrin:
  6. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I think after the programme it did say the all the winning finalists performances are being shown on Thursday night - but you only get to see the trumpet player plus all the other section winners.

Did anyone else think that snotty oboist judge should have had her instrument placed in an unusal place to play it?
  7. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

When's it being broadcast on terrestrial tele, for those of us that don't have freeview/sky etc!? Missed it last year, and would really like to watch it this year! ;)
  8. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Wasn't very nice was she! Bit up herself I thought. :eek:
  9. BandTaxi

BandTaxi Active Member

Think it's held every other year........... might explain why you didn't catch it last year!!! ;)

Good question why it's been put on a limited access channel though. BBC 2 will have the Final on Saturday, but that appears to be all you'll get.
  10. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

If you can get to The Sage in gateshead get along to the final (Saturday or Sunday can't remember :oops: ). Went 2 years ago in Edinburgh great evening, 5 top class concertos in one evening, you don't get the chance to hear that very often.:clap:
  11. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Just wanted to say well done to Steve Sykes Jnr.... played extremly well :)
    Hope you win next year!
  12. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Wow 5 top class know I would love to be there...but I think I'm chucking myself under a bus
  13. Matt-Trom939

Matt-Trom939 Member

I missed the show but as a fellow trombone player i was wondering what piece Master Sykes played. Anyone able to tell me?
  14. PPP

PPP Member

Stephen Sykes BBC programme

Hi Matt

Stephen played the following programme:

Round one
    Concert Piece - Guillmant
    3rd & 4th Mov Hindemith Sonata

Round two
    1st Mov Sonantine - Casterede
    2nd Mov Sonata - Bourgeois
    Cavatine - Saint Saens