Stephen Shimwell

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by Bones, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Bones

Bones Member

I am very sad to announce that Steve Shimwell has passed away.

It was confirmed to me today by his closest friend, who asked I should try and make aware as many of his pupils from the South East Derbyshire Days.

Steve was best remembered I am sure for his work as a Brass tutor for Derbyshire in the 80's, and for his creation of the South East Derby. Brass band, which eventually became Orion Airways Brass, Britannia Airways Brass and Thorntons. As well as the Jaguar Cars Band Steve had involvement with many other ensembles.

He was an inspirational teacher, and he will be sorely missed.

I will post further details as I know them

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Derbyshire
    Steve Shimwell
    Stephen Shimwell
    Jaguar Cars Band Steve
    Orion Airways Brass
  3. Frontman

Frontman Member

That is very sad news, I knew Stephen well through his conducting and adjudicating.
    This is another sad loss to the movement.

RIP Stephen. God Bless.

4. Elliebone

Elliebone Member

Sorry to hear that. Will never forget working with him on Sibelius 2 in Derbyshire Youth Orchestra. I think it must have been the late 70s though as I left in 1980. Condolences to his nearest and dearest.

5. grandad

grandad Member

Steve was my Professor at the Royal Marines School of Music. He was a hard task master and a great mentor.

LEGEND.

My condolences to his Family.

Please can someone PM me with details of the funeral

6. mosel75

mosel75 New Member

Closest friend? Pete Bullock?

7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I heard at Buxton Contest yesterday about this ;very sad news to hear.
    I remember him taking Ransome at the British Open in 1978 on Benvenuto Cellini it was a great performance and a well deserved placing in the top 6 that day 3rd if im remember correct.

8. Rustonw

Rustonw Member

I'm shocked to hear about Steve's death, I have many good memories of his time as MD at City of Coventry Band in the 1980's. When ever I have seen him since he always found time to stop and talk and catch up on events.
    A very talanted a all round nice man, he will be sadly missed.

Wayne Ruston
    City of Coventry Band
    1977-1984

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  9. Bones

Bones Member

It was from Pete that I heard the sad news

10. Bones

Bones Member

As soon as I hear anything I will post the details.

11. grandad

grandad Member

Thanks Bones.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Derbyshire
    Steve Shimwell
    Stephen Shimwell
    Jaguar Cars Band Steve
    Orion Airways Brass
  13. Blades4Ever

Blades4Ever Member

I agree entirely with Wayne.

I first met Steve when he guested with Kibworth Band at the Watford Contest in 1973 and the Midlands Area Contest at Leicester in 1974. He was a fine Euphonium player and a very enthusiastic musician.

When the City of Coventry Band were the British Open Champions in 1981, we found ourselves in need of a Resident Conductor and had no hesitation in appointing Steve. Unfortunately his partnership with Major Peter Parkes only lasted a couple of years as Steve had to relinquish the position due to personal circumstances. Luckily his circumstances changed and he was able to resume the partnership in 1984.

Steve was a very enthusiastic and thorough Conductor and also produced some excellent arrangements for the band. He will be sadly missed by the band movement.

I hope to be able to meet up with former members of the City of Coventry Band at the funeral when I'm sure we'll raise a glass in memory of a fine musician and, as Wayne puts it, an all round nice man.

Ian Scott
    City of Coventry Band
    1976-1990

14. Bones

Bones Member

As promised

The funeral of Stephen Shimwell will be held as follows:

All Saints Church

Youlgrave (sometimes spelt Youlgreave)

Derbyshire

Thursday 13th May, 10.45AM

Directions to Youlgrave
    The village can be reached from Derby by turning right at Newhaven on the A515 Ashbourne to Buxton road, turning sharp left and following the well sign posted country roads. It can also be reached by turning left, about a mile past Rowsley village on the main A6 Matlock to Bakewell road.