Stephen & Philip Cobb in Toronto

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by John Brooks, May 29, 2006.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I went to Toronto on Saturday and heard the CSB with Philip Cobb who gave an absolute stunner of a performance on Wondrous Day; Virtuosity and Whirlwind plus a sublime slow piece (just can't recall the title as I write).

Stephen lead the band in all the solo's as well as in Ratcliff Highway. The band played well but sounded quite loud in the confines of the packed out Scarborough Citadel. Someone said the band had pushed the rear wall back about ten feet by the end (it was intended as a compliment). This was one of the final programs of the band under the direction of Kevin Hayward. Still no news yet on his replacement although the rumor mill is working overtime.

This was the first time I've heard the band for some time. The performance of several items was enhanced by some excellent Powerpoint work from CSB cornet player Sarah Ewing (currently not able to play with a problem similar to that experienced by David Daws). I really believe this is an aspect of banding (particularly SA banding) that should be explored and utilized more fully; even on CD's. I've heard Ratcliff Highway live several times and also have a number of recordings but I heard sounds on Saturday from a completely different perspective than before, due I believe mainly to the slides.

It was a great night if, for no other reason, to hear Philip. But there were a number of other "value added" features to make this a night to remember.
  2. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

I have to agree with you on everything John. The played extremely well, and Phil Cobb was definitely something else. The slow piece you are thinking of is Healing Waters by Ken Downie, but for me Wondrous Day was definitely the highlight. Hopefully this will be broadcasted by CBC as they have done for previous anniversary concerts.