Static

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by kate_the_horn, Feb 25, 2005.

1. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

has anyone else been a magnet of staticness lately?!

my jumper b4 collected about 50% of my dogs and cats hair and also made my hair stand on end!!

just me!?

kel x

2. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

We moved into a new office building two months ago, with all new furniture. Since then, everybody is suffering terribly from static electricity when they get up from their chairs and come close to anything metallic (especially the cupboards in between the desks!)

3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Suffered badly when

(a) I started work and the building had awful acrylic carpets. Heather McLeod was terrible. She'd rub her pxie boots on the floor, then walk up bhind the worst afflicted people and touch them behind the ear. Net result, a flying Will, with scraping of the ceiling necessary (Mind you, Heather was the Goddess of the office, a truly delightfully looking lady, and it was the only time she ever considered actually touching me, so it still holds some good memories... :biggrin: )

(b) When I first lived on my own, before I learned how to wash clothes properly...

and...

(c) Occasionally in supermarkets. Tesco is the worst.

4. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

I've noticed this recently! Whenever i go to touch my hair when wearing my big warm gloves, my hair just attaches to them!
    And my cat keeps giving me an electric shock!!

5. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Martyn's car does this to me sometimes, esp. if I'm wearing my trainers. Makes closing the doors a bit risky.

I once lived in a student house where we had a water leak in amongst the wiring upstairs, and the water came out of the taps live. Happy days...
    BMB
    xx

6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I get shocks from my car every now and again...

7. groovy

groovy Active Member

Yes my school jumper makes me very electric.

8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Yeah, so do I.

£150 for a service, £150 for two new tyres, £135 ish for road tax, £116 for a boot cover £35 for a tankful of petrol.... etc etc etc etc etc :rolleyes:

9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

My partner and I both seem to be acting like van der graph generators at the moment. We have to touch a radiator before we kiss or touch. And no, we don't have nylon carpets, clothes or sheets!Maybe it's love :)

10. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

awwwwwwwwwwwww thats soo sweet!!!

kel xx

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Static
    cats hair
    magnet of staticness
    kel x
    jumper b4
  12. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

me and my next door neighbour were chattin bout this on the way to school this morning...

we both find that our hair is just complete staticness at the moment (and its highly annoying!!!)

we think its something in the air...

probably isnt though

13. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

nope not static

14. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

I'm static!!

My hair was well static the other day! Was sticking everywhere! And my friends were taking the mick well bad :( awww well, I'll survive!

15. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I've always been suffered from static. In shopping centres ect. I get a lot of shocks from lifts, escalators ect and at my mums I'm not allowed within 10 foot of her stereo. As soon as I go near it the radio signals go haywire

16. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

you can get a water based anti static treatment for carpets , fabrics and other surfaces , it can in conjunction with other mesures to reduced static shocks.
    these measures are increasing reletive humidity ( having plants in the house ) reducing the amount of electrical equipment ( computers , fax etc. ) and increased hoovering . Also reducing heat in the home can help too.
    hope this helps.

17. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

My hair's been going everywhere recently!! So unfair! :(

My friend said it was something to do with the cold??! :dunno

18. six pints

six pints Active Member

my physics teacher used to slide around fenwicks getting charged then go and electrify the cashiers. i love eelectric shocks. my granda has this machine wgere you hold onto two wires and someone else turns it and it electrocutes you- hours of fun!!

19. Ginge

Ginge Member

Have just noticed it! I get a shock everytime i shut my car door!!! :mad:

20. brassica

brassica New Member

[with cars too.

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  21. brassica

brassica New Member

with cars too.

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide