Starting with a new Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by B(r)assBone, Oct 7, 2012.

1. B(r)assBone

B(r)assBone Member

Hi,

we just started to form a new Brass Band. In my opinion there is no Band sound at all right now and most of the players in our country do not have Brass Band Experience at all.

So, what is your recommendation, what should we work on and what should we rehearse to get a good Brass Band Sound? What are the elements we should practice to get a good sound with this Band? What sould we tell the players to keep an eye on and is there something like a Brass Band "Theory"? For instance balance in the band

Any recommnedations on that topic?

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Get everyone listening to recordings of top bands to decide which sound is preferred.

3. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Having 25 players that can play together and in tune normally sorts it.

4. B(r)assBone

B(r)assBone Member

Both advice sound easier than they are!

Getting good players and getting all together in the warm Brass Band Sound and in tune, as you say, is a big challenge.
    Do you regularly work on dynamics (isolated) or you do those things on the concert pieces you play?

5. DRW

DRW New Member

If I was in that position with a fledging band of players who have little or no brass band experience, I'd not be too anxious about getting 'the brass band' sound too soon. Enjoy building a good repertoire, paying normal attention to usual good musical disciplines (style, dynamics, articulation, good sound production, good balance, phrasing etc) and the sound will develop itself. The last thing I would do is tell them that they don't sound like a brass band.

It's worth remembering that a key feature of brass bands is that they are bottom heavy compared to other ensembles. Work on getting a solid bass line.

6. B(r)assBone

B(r)assBone Member

Very good comment, thank you very much!
    The problem is, when I have the sound of very good bands in mind and be in a Band with bad "discipline" and the things you mentioned, that drives my cray :D

7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Get hold of an MD who has a strong approach to playing discipline - that will go a long way. There are plenty of conductors around British banding who make it their 'speciality', if you like, to get the most out of a weaker group of players - that's the kind of attitude that I mean. If one isn't readily available, maybe identify a band conductor who does have these attributes and then fly them over to Germany for a weekend of rehearsals?