starting up a band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by choirmaster, Mar 18, 2004.

1. choirmaster

choirmaster Member

For the past few months I have been contemplating starting up a band from scratch on the south coast. I think there is probably enough player around to do this and would appreciate any advice from anyone on how to go about it, especially if you have had experience of doing this. Obviously I am thinking of the day to day running, procurement of instruments and music, finding a bandroom sponsorship etc. I would very much like to get back into conducting seriously again but most bands around this area seem to be sorted conductorwise or tend to rehearse on days which are difficult for me i.e. Sunday(S.A. obligations), hence my idea of starting up a band of my own. :idea:

2. Dan

Dan Member

Whereabouts on the South coast were you thinking of atarting the new band?

3. Dan

Dan Member

ooops, just seen you are from Gosport! So int hat kind of area then? Porstmouth, Fareham, Gosport???

(Duplicate post removed, PB, Mod)

4. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Reveal yourself Choirmaster, do I know you (SA connections and all that)?

5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Going to play Devil's Advocate here - Over the past few years it has become more and more apparent that there are barely enough decent players to go around the existing bands in the area, and there have been several band mergers because of this. I'm not sure creating a whole new band would be easy without adversely affecting the established groups.

6. Dan

Dan Member

Yeah I was thinking that too. There are quite a few established bands already in this area. Unless you know something we don't!!??

7. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

I know of others who have tried to establish new bands in the West Sussex/Hants area. These people have had money and backing from some top name conductors. They didn't manage it . . . . . .

8. shedophone

shedophone Member

I have just set up my own brass band, and i can say that it is a worthwhile experience.
    It is a university band, so we are not registered as we have some players who are registered for other bands.

It has been hard work, i found all the players, went about getting music etc, and we've done our first concert now.

Ive found the biggest problem is funding, as you will probably have to pump money into the band at the beginning. Like any business venture i guess, the outgoings severely outweigh the incomings until you get some work.

At the moment we are saving up for music stands to give us the freedom to rehearse and perform outside the university. Fundraising is a good idea, but sponsorship is the ideal way.

At the moment we do not have a rehearsal room, which has caused considerable problems. However i'm hoping that after easter that will be sorted.

Sorry, went off on a tangent there. Back on topic- I think, as long as there enough players to make a go of it, it is certainly worth doing, it can be a very rewarding experience. Just make sure you are not treading on anybodys toes. Aother good thing to do would be thinking about a youth band- if there are no local youth bands there are likely to be young people who want to continue playing or learn.

I hope that helps a bit.

9. choirmaster

choirmaster Member

I'm Derek Jones originally from Maesteg, South Wales. I've been known to churn out the odd(in more ways than one) piece for S.A. publication.
    In reply to a few others the reason for wanting to start up my own band is that I wish to start doing a spot of conducting again with non S.A. bands as I really fancy doing some contesting work. As I said previously, working with some bands could be problemmatic as a lot tend to rehearse on Sundays.
    I would be more than happy to work with an already existing band but there doesn't seem to be any around my locality ( Gosport, Fareham) or at least none that have advertised the fact that they need a conductor. Even the chance to do a spot of playing and conducting would be great as I could then inflict my cornet playing for all to hear! Playing 12th man down would be welcomed!

10. Dan

Dan Member

Ahh Fareham! I used to play for Lucketts Travel (Southsea) Band. They used to be based in Portsmouth/Southsea, but moved to Fareham after having trouble finding rehearsal space in Portsmouth. We used to rehearse at Cams Hill School and were obviously sponsored by Lucketts Travel (who I am sure you will know). Unfortunately the band folded in 2000 :?

Have you tried Cosham Concert, I think they were looking for a conductor a little while ago, don't know if this is is correct though.

If you go ahead with it best of luck and let us know how you are getting on on here :)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    coast
    anyone
    procurement
    instruments
    experience
  12. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

We found one :D ! Thanks for the ad though Dan!

13. Biggest problem is depth and variety of music.

14. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Also, when starting a band, you may find you have 18 brass players wanting to sign up, four of them demanding to play flugal and not willing to compromise.

15. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Ten of them wanting principal cornet and the other 4 wanting to wave the stick!

:lol:

16. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

There is a band near you
    www.gosportsilverband.com

They would love an extra cornet and help with learners etc, and I know that the conductor Albert Hall is looking to step down sometime soon

17. louise0502

louise0502 Member

if there are that many players to spare, we sure don't know about them!

18. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Well good luck to you! I think that "if you build it, they will come". Go for it!

... did I hear someone say "FLUGEL"?

Kirsty :D