Starting Conducting.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hobgoblin, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

I've been asked to take a few rehearsals of a local youth bands' beginners group over the next 3 weeks while my brother is on holiday. I'm not Karajan or anything and most of the stuff is dead simple (2/4, 4/4, & one in 6/8). My brother has done this stuff on Sibelius and re-scored the barlines so there are no difficult time changes or corners to keep things straightforward. Do tmp-ers think it would be ok for me to put massive smiley faces on the score to show at a glance which sections are playing so I know where to look? - It might also remind me to smile at the time which hopefully should encourage the players.
  2. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I'd definitely recommend marking the score up, yes. And however you want to it is fine, as long as it works for you!

Reminding yourself to smile is no bad thing either - it's often the last thing on your mind when you're thinking about what to do with your hands and listening to what's going on around you - but a smile (or a glare! ;) )from the conductor can make a massive difference to a player :)
  3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Put whatever you like on the score that will help.
    It is unlikely that the audience (or the band) will ever see the score, so whatever helps is fine.

However - I would advise against putting anything rude, just in case anyone else has to dep for you at any point (been there, done that)
  4. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Naughty, naughty, Hobgoblin - you're trolling again. This is wasted on the majority of folks on here, though you are trying. Very trying... :rolleyes:
  5. Perchead

Perchead New Member

Hi, sounds a good idea to mark the score for entries or anything that helps the players and gives a more imformative practice, it also shows your prepared, but try to remember it may be used by someone else in the future. I find sometimes when you concentrate so much you forget to show how much your enjoying the practice, so a smile can only be encouraging. :)
  6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

There seems little point continuing with this thread as it is clearly a wind-up.

Hobgoblin: take this as a warning.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.