Starting a Junior Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Sharpy, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

There was a thread on this not so long ago so mods please re direct me if you can find it!!

But my band hasn't got a Junior Band at the moment and I think that it really needs one to act as feeder for the Senior Band. THe problem is I have no idea where to start!!!

Anyone got any good hints and tips?

Cheers!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Junior Band
    Senior Band
    good hints
    tips
    problem
  3. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

Just one point that i dont think was in the other thread about youth bands:

In order for them to be successful you will need a conductor who has
    1) a good interaction with your members, ive played with a few youth bands and the best ones had MD's who had more than a musical relationship with the bands members. this just keeps them interested
    2) Music teachers are brillant! i dont mean school teachers, but the many who travel to differnt schools and have many pupils who they then bring into the band using the "respect/influence" they gain through giving private lessons.

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Contact your local education authority and see if there are any youth bands already in your area that might be able to help you out in the long term. They might also know if there are any teachers in your area who might be up for helping you out.

Any time you work with younger players, you NEED to have everyone on the staff CRB checked. Teachers that are already working for the authorities should have already had this done.
    They might also have had some considerable experience in doing what you are after.

5. ""but the many who travel to differnt schools and have many pupils who they then bring into the band using the "respect/influence" they gain through giving private lessons.""

think the term your looking for there is peripetetic teachers, hope ive spelt that right lol

6. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

The problem with the schools peri system at the moment in Scotland is that its very orchestrally biased and teachers dont like sending their pupils to a brass band. This is what I keep getting told by the commitee. So my idea is to go back to basics and get people learning from scratch and playing that way as opposed to trying to get the schools to help. Also there is no local school youth band that Im aware of.

If I am wrong on any of the above points someone please correct me!!!!

7. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

Dont limit yourself to a junior band, have a training band and encourage adult learners too, they often are parents of the kids involved or "retired" players

These adults also help with the organisation etc in my experience
    feel free to pm me;)

8. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Thats a very good point! Thats how my Mum and Dad started playing, they were fed up of just dropping me off at band!!

9. pienbeans

pienbeans New Member

10. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

I stand corrected!! And you have a fair point which I except, so why in Clackmannanshire and Fife (Where I have had most of my Scottish banding experience!) have I been told that there is a this problem? I don't want to stir up a hornets nest here but I'm just curios thats all!!

11. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Pienbeans makes a very good point, certainly in Ayrshire it is very brass band orientated rather than orchestral - I didnt see an orchestra in my time at school there, it was all brass and wind bands. I'm not familiar with Renfrewshire's scene, but there was certainly lots to commend in Ayrshire, with alot of encouragement from all the brass staff.

I know from experience how hard it is to find players in Fife, it can be nigh on impossible to get a 3/4 full band never mind a junior band - if brass bands in Fife are to stay afloat over the next decade or so something must be done, or more bands are in danger of disappearing off the banding map.

I think that further education musical institutions are to blame. I auditioned to a university in Edinburgh, and turned up with my cornet, and the way the staff looked at me you would think I was the grim reaper!! Hence, why I am now in sunny Salford :cool:

Seriously though, I wish you all the best with the training band, and hope you get the interest required in succeding.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Junior Band
    Senior Band
    good hints
    tips
    problem
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Given the reality that in many areas far fewer kids are using brass bands for musical development or as a hobby, maybe the district band committees should pool together available youngsters into junior bands formed from existing bands. That way, there is more of a chance for them to experience the feel of a full band and the social spin-offs of meeting new friends with a common goal. Catchment areas could centre around where most senior bands are based and could maybe rotate between bandhalls to allow parents to become more involved.

14. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

We had our training bands first rehearsal on Sunday and got 1 trom, 1 euph and 2 cornets - we also had 4 beginners turn up too - they've now gone away with horns, euph and cornets. We have a further 4 players who couldn't get due to prior commitments but they'll be there next week so that's 8 to start with.

One very small but keen lad wanted to play tuba but we've only got full sized EEbs so I thought I'd get in touch with the local council's school's music department. They have a fantastic website highlighting the fact that they've got 8,500 school children having lessons and 220 peris - asked if there was any chance we could loan a 3/4 size Eb tuba to see if it could be played by the youngster. Not very helpful told us that he'd have to ask through his own school and then if they loan him one he'd have to play in the area band or something.

Anyone got a 3/4 size tuba we could loan?

15. bandpolitics

bandpolitics New Member

That's a good idea. The problem with that idea is that bands are usually very poor at co-operating and there would be a lot of complaining if the best players went to one band and not another.

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... the problem of co-operation has to be seen in the bigger picture to allow bands a chance of producing new generations of players. In these times when bands seem to be struggling to fill seats in the bandhall, self-pride has to be demoted to allow bands to survive in more general terms. Players of any age and ability will attract interest from bands, and if there is any bias towards one band, then maybe legislation should be introduced to prevent this at a local level.

17. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

at the last count we had 29 members in the training band:clap:

but only one bass:( and no soprano:( ............. any takers?
    for me its better to encourage adults and kids to start playing, we have a lot of ex players too!