Stars & stripes forever

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BRIAN KEECH, May 15, 2009.

BRIAN KEECH Member

Can anyone please tell me the arranger and publisher of "Stars & Stripes Forever" which has a Soprano obligarto towards the end. I have 2 versions of this piece but neither have this included.

Your help is most appreciated.
  2. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I remember doing one arranged by Philip Sparke, can't remember the publisher, sorry.
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I think the one you want is arranged by Peter Graham - has the sop part at the end.

Theres a sample solo cornet part on Just Music here
  4. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Also one arranged by William Himes. Published by the SA USA Central Territory and probably available via World of Brass.
  5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

We've always just used the original Sousa wind band parts and the sop player wrote out the obligato from the piccolo part.
  6. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I've never seen the piccolo part on the sop part, I've always just done it, having memorised it from playing it in quintet. I've even done it when I've been depping on the front row when their sop didn't do it, although it fits much better under your fingers on Eb
  7. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Try it on a trombone, it's quite hard!
  8. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

Also very interesting to hear it done on Eb Bass. Have a recording of Darren Sheridan doing this with NYSB was not what I expected the first time I heard it. You'll need the Sop to play it at the very end though or the Bass will just get buried under everyone else.
  9. Martin

Martin Member

I can't recall the arranger, but something rings a bell that such an arrangement was published by Wright and Round (Don't quote me though).

Hope you find it!!:tup
  10. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Not Boosey & Hawkes? I somehow seem to reemember in the dim and distant past, it was published by them.
  11. Martin

Martin Member

:) Could be. I definitely remember there being a printed (published) copy of S & S F with the sop obligato, as I have played it. I thought it was W & R but am prepared to be wrong. At least there are a few suggestions for exploration! :tup
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

What about the version(s) conducted by Elgar Howarth for Grimethorpe and the PJBE? Didn't he arrange them with the piccolo part included?
  13. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

If all else fails - just tell us the key that you want it in and I am sure someone will be able to supply it, it seems like quite a few of us have got it in various formats.