Stars and Stripes Music. Ideas please!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by MattB, May 26, 2004.

1. MattB

MattB Member

We (Littleborough) are doing a Stars & Stripes concert on the 4th of July at Glossop Band Club (in association with tMp's own Strongbow).

We are desperately stuck for music to play, and need LOTS of suggestions as to what is available!

Please bear in mind we are a 4th section outfit with less than 2 months to practice!

Many thanks,

2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

I refer you to Strongbow's thread

However, on looking at that, some of the music is quite challenging, so we'll leave this thread on specifically music suitable for 4th section band?

One suggestion from me would be "Hymn to the Fallen" from Saving Private Ryan. Perhaps not completely related, but should get away with it.
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Challenging I know, but Olympic Fanfare and Theme? (It is Olympic year too)
  4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Other suggestions either easily playable by a 4th section band or worth rehearsing (IMHO)

Cole Porter for Brass
    Gershwin for Brass
    Li'l Darlin
    Liberty Bell
    Puttin' On The Ritz
    Let's Face the Music and Dance
    Rhythm of Life
    Miller Magic
    Appalachian Mountain Folk Song Suite
  5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

just make sure they don't speed up... heard my old youth band play it at the nationals and it was horrible!!
  6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Abso- bleedin- lutely. Listen to The Atomic Mr Basie album to hear how it should go!
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You could also try "The Blue and the Gray" and, whatever you may think of it, "Hootenanny" wouldn't be out of place.
  8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I actually really like the wind band version of The Blue and the Gray, but didn't like the BB transcription. Yeah, Hootenanny. Cheesy it might be, but it's appropriate. Also, how about some Leroy Anderson? (Buglers Holiday, Sandpaper Ballet, Serenata - all done for BB, but Serenata would need some work for a lower section band)
  9. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

How about 'Radetsky Forever'... A mixure of the Radetsky March and Stars and Stripes Forever i think...

Can't remember arranger/publisher (i'm useless :roll: )

TuTuKu xx
  10. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

A bit more challenging perhaps but here are some good concert pieces with an American theme.

Almost any Sousa march
    Almost any movie theme
    Concert March from 1941, Steve Sykes
    New York, New York arr. Wyss
    My Way arr Fernie
    Breezin' Down Broadway, Goff Richards
    American Pie
    Swing Low Sweet Chariot
    Negro Spirituals
    Georgia on my Mind, Goff Richards
    Sweet Georgia Brown, Goff Richards
  11. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Apparently Neal Hefti wrote it at double speed, but when Count Basie first played it, he played it half speed, all (including Hefti) agreed that half speed was much better and so it stuck!!
  12. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

it'd work pretty well both ways (he says singing it in his head double speed), but gradually accelerating throughout is a tad dodgy...

wonder what the adjudicators would think if a band at an entertainment contest decided to take it at the original tempo...?
  13. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Hmmmmm....we're doing that this summer, and it's proving more difficult than it looks, especially to make it convincing. Nice piece all the same (especially when you have the snare drum solo at the end!)
  14. Anything Elvis always goes down a treat!