Stamina builder - Peter Roberts

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DS2014, Mar 18, 2016.

1. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

Hi all, I've posted this over on Facebook too, so, apologies for cross posting, but I have a favour to ask. I've thrown out my copy of last month's Brass Band World magazine in which Peter Roberts reviewed the Stomvi soprano cornet. In that article, he outlined a routine for improving one's stamina. He started with Arban p.12 for half an hour. Then I can't remember the rest. Can anyone help with the rest from a copy of the magazine they may still have?

2. Blowsno Moore

Blowsno Moore New Member

Any idea which actual exercise he was referring to ? There are at least three different versions of the Arban, the Boosey & Hawkes one being the worst of the lot as it's only half the book compared to, for example, the Conservatoire version which also contains the 101 melodies for practising phrasing etc. and more !
    My point being that page 12 in one version could well be just text :)

3. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Its always nice to have a read though ! and im assuming the OP has an Arban that has dots not text on page 12.

DS2014 likes this.
  4. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

I suspect it's the B&H version, because I recall him writing that the last part of his routine was to play the fourteen studies on p.193, and that's the page they are on in the B&H edition

Blowsno Moore likes this.
  5. nethers

nethers Active Member

I read the text on page 12 for half an hour, my stamina didn't feel improved at all :(

(sorry)

6. Ianroberts

Thats because it wasnt the Arban you were reading, it was the menu for "The Lucky Star" Chinese take away.

7. nethers

nethers Active Member

Bloody big menu at The Lucky Star!

8. Ianroberts

Special Chow Mein to die for though.

nethers likes this.
  9. Red Kite

Red Kite Member

This is the quote.......
    "For the first 30 minutes, I play from the Arban Cornet Tutor, p. 12. Then, it’s all about dedication; practise has to be done religiously every day. If commitment is not there, forget it! After three or four days of practising long notes, I moved on to p. 22, starting at the bottom of the page and working to the top. After three or four days practising pages 12 and 22, I moved on to p. 106, No. 9. I had now built up stamina, as well as embouchure and face muscle, and I continued practising these over and over again. After three weeks of practising every day, I moved on to the 14 studies on p. 193, after doing all the other exercises."

Blowsno Moore and DS2014 like this.
  10. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

Thank you so much. That's perfect. I have p.12 off now, so, I'm sure the 14 studies will be easy!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Peter Roberts
    Peter Roberts Hi
    Brass Band World
    Stomvi
    Facebook