Stagg Horns Good or Bad

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GingerMaestro, Nov 2, 2005.

1. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Hi there

I am thinking of buying a horn for my daughter she is eight and working towards her grade 4 we have seen a few stagg horns on ebay going at a cheap price a didn't know if they were any good or if they were that price for a reason

Can anyone help

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Stagg Horns Good
    cheap price
    ebay
    daughter
    reason
  3. gargoyle

gargoyle Member

If i was you i wouldnt buy them! They are not very good! Very cheap!

Dave

4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I have a Stagg Trombone - it works for me. Were I playing Trombone regularly, I daresay it would be a different matter.

For an 8 year old, it may be a good purchase, but start saving up for a better model if your daughter is still playing when she's eleven.

5. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Stagg Horns bad; Stagg chilli good.

I'm going to bed now.........my brain hurts!

6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

If you don't want to buy a reasonable make seconhand instrument, it might be worth looking at the Virtuosi range of instruments. They are made in England and are recommened by a Brass Music Teacher I know. He rates them quite highly and certainly knows his stuff.

7. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Of course they are that price for a reason. They are made in China using cheap labour and they use cheaper materials for valves etc.
    However they are not in the same category as the unplayable rubbish from India. They are proper instruments.

I think there was a thread about Stagg instruments and other cheap instruments a while back. I think then the concensus from those who actually owned them was that although they were cheap they were very playable and much better quality than could be expected for the price. I bought a stagg pocket trumpet on EBay for my daughter. We were both delighted with its looks and sound (Brand new for £60). She normally uses her Courtois Professional Model Flugel at school band but nobody complains when she uses her Stagg pocket trumpet instead.

8. rutty

rutty Active Member

Just to back up what other Stagg owners have said here. Yes, they are very cheap. Yes, they're made from inferior materials but they're still very playable instruments. My Stagg pocket trumpet has been a real boon while I've been abroad rather than lumping a full-size trumpet about. I'd say that they're ideal for a beginner.

If you're looking at the listings from "politepete" on eBay then I'm happy to recommend them. That's where mine came from and they were very helpful

9. I'm sure they are not bad value for money, but the intonation etc is so poor that the player will outgrow the instrument pretty quickly, especially if they want to start playing in a band.

I would always advise going for an old second hand instrument such as an imperial or new standard. You may get one of these in good order for about £200. theres a guy in Birmingham who retsores them and sells them. He would be worth a call. I can let you have his name and number. They will be in tune, and are solid, anbd will retain their sell on value. Another important factor is that some cheaper instruments are difficult to repair / solder etc because of the materials used.

If your set on buying a new shiny intrument then consider the Werril instruments. I have found them extremly good value for money, being sturdy and pretty good on intonation. they are certainltly better than anything else I have experience of in the price range

10. Steve

Steve Active Member

pm shawneuph on here about virtuosi intruments. Quality for the price (and even a bit more).

11. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Im sure Virtuosi instruments are good (havent tried them but happy to believe you all :tongue: ) .... but according to the website, it seems they arent going to make tenor horns until 2006 :frown:

("Virtuosi brass instruments, [...] A tenor horn, baritone and EEb tuba will be added to the range in 2006." --> www.jpbrass.co.uk)

Tom

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Stagg Horns Good
    cheap price
    ebay
    daughter
    reason
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There's always the alternative of buying an ex-rental instrument from a music shop or asking local bands if they have any from pre-lottery days or ones no longer in use from defunct junior bands.

14. Steve

Steve Active Member

Will find out tonight and let you know. I know they are on their way, just dont know if thats manufacture of shipping.

15. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

There has been a lot of discussion of Stagg, Jinbao, Selman etc Chinese alto trombones on the OTJF recently. All these names (plus a few others) are the same instrument range, made by Jinbao in China. A couple of people bought the altos and tried them - the consensus was that they were not at all bad, slides were not brilliant, but for the money they were eminently reasonable.

See
    HTML:
    http://forum.trombone.org/viewtopic.php?t=16076
    for example.

Daniel

16. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Thinking through this a little further - I wonder if the depreciation of a better instrument over (say) three years after which a child might decide to give up would be more than the cost of a playable but limited life Stagg or similar?

17. im doubtin a cheap for example old sov , going down that much in value in just 3 years ,

18. SAbandman

SAbandman New Member

Are the Virtuosi instruments not imported as well? Shawneuph is listing a rotary-valved alpine type horn on ebay at the moment. Looking on the Stagg website, there is an identical instrument. Are the Virtuosi instruments then re-badged Staggs? I'm not critising either make though, I've briefly tried a few of the Stagg instruments and found them to be at least as good as some of the more respected student type horns.

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You may get a new shiny instrument but ask yourself when it's time to upgrade how much money you will get back in return? :confused:

20. Melph

Melph Member

When moving bands, and prior to purchasing my own horn, the band gave me a Jupiter Horn.

This instrument (and it might have just been this one instrument, i dont know) was awful - no one, not even the solo horn player, could paly the instrument in tune - it was really bad. However, when practising alone, it was sort of ok, but become part of an ensemble..... no way.

I guess you aslso have to consider what effect a poor instrument will have on your childs ability to improve in the early period of playing.......

Im not a teacher, so what do I know!

21. SAbandman

SAbandman New Member

Yes, I agree with both comments, I would always prefer to buy a good secondhand Imperial. I have had a lot better experience with the Jupiters though, you must have had a very early one.

22. Stagg drum pedals aren't too good , I put my foot on it and a bit broke straight off. I've got a "big dog" :)