St. Patrick's Day in New York

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Despot

Despot Member

Just got a phone call asking would the band be interested in travelling to New York to take part in the 2005 St. Patrick's Day Parade.

It's a pretty huge event and requires marching up 5th Avenue from 44th to 86th street!

Has anyone experience of the event?

2. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

no experience, but if you need a spare trombone player... :D

3. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I know the Navan Silver Band from , er.. Navan in Co Meath did a St Patricks Day Parade in Dallas over 10 years ago or so. It might be worth getting in touch with them?

4. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Not first hand, but it's a big deal. In recent years it's been more newsworthy for disputes between the city and the large gay community, who've wanted to march in it and demonstrate. The courts have been involved, but perhaps all that fuss has now died down. St. Patrick's Day has a very firm footing in the USA with parades going on in many places and with lots of folk (Irish or not) wearing the green. I suspect it's an excuse to have another well lubricated party.

5. Razor

Razor Member

I was in Chicago a few years ago when the St Patricks day parade was on there. It was a huge event with a parade that probably took 4+ hours to pass any one point.

Quite an atmosphere!

I can only imagine what the NY event would be like.

6. HBB

HBB Active Member

Anything like last week? Friggin' cold! :D