St. Magnus Variations

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Tenor-Steffen-DK, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Heard the piece was sent out to the the EBBC contestors.... Has anyone rehersed it yet, and is it any good?
  2. Active Member

Yep, the competing bands should all now have their sets.

We are the publishers of St.Magnus and have just made the Conductors score and a Study score available on our website.
    The main purpose of this is to take some of the heat off our trade stand in Glasgow and we thought that one of the ways we could do this was by making scores available before the event.
    It will also give the audience chance to acquaint themselves with the piece sooner than the first performance.
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Excellent idea :!:

I've thought for a while it is a shame that study scores are not available in advance, or even generally available at times other than contests - I suppose they may be around, but nobody ever seems to advertise the fact.

Will the Trade Stands at the Areas have any copies with them?
  4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

have the parts but not run the piece.
    I'm bloody glad I don't play tuned percussion.. thats all I'm saying!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Active Member

Hadn't thought about that but sounds like a good idea.
  6. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Had a glance at my part. Looked playable until you note the tempos! :?
  7. But is it any good??? Can you compare it to some other testpiece?
  8. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

The ISB 'played it through' a few weeks ago for the benefit of the chap who was originating the score for publication.
    I've put 'played it through' in italics as that is all we did. No real rehearsal, just a few re-starts when we were left with only a couple of people still playing!

Being written by Ken Downie, I'm sure it will be enjoyable to listen to as a piece of music.
    As to whether it is 'any good' what criteria are you wishing us to use?
    An irrelevent question as far as I'm concerned.
  9. By meaning any good, I mean if it's a good piece. Don't think it's irrelevent since I must skip school a day to go to Glasgow, and I would like to hear it it's worth listening to all day, or if school is better :wink:
  10. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

if its that bad you've always got the own choice :) and the gala concert should be good :p
  11. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

If you know and like any of Ken Downie's music, and he's done several variation-type pieces, you should have some idea of what to expect -- only "St Magnus" is more difficult. It's inventive, tuneful, tonal with some typical Downie harmonies. I think it's a pretty safe bet unless you want avant garde.
  12. Yeah okay... Thanks Brian
  13. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Picked up a copy of the score (the £10 one...and excellent it is too) from the World of Brass boys at the Yorks areas and it looks terrific.
    Some lovely melodic and tuneful bits with some exceptionally frantic looking bits with very high tempo's.

2 words appeared in my head when i first saw some of the parts, to which i would be moderated if i posted them! :shock: Good luck Sop players with the Top D Semi Breve at Crotchet =84!

Some rock hard looking semi quaver runs for all the usual (unlucky) suspects and a Euph cadenza that goes up to Super Eb! :shock:

Good luck to all! :?
  14. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

Ah, but euph players love that sort of thing. I worry more about the top E (three ledger lines) for second horn...

15. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

ave it
  16. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

I got my score for this some time ago and looked through it and thought exactly the same :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

For those guys and gals that are playing this (or indeed have already played it!?!?) how are the tuned percussionists getting on :?:

And is the percussion REALLY playable by only 3 players :shock: :shock: :shock:

I must say I am so looking forward to the weekend.
  17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

On paper it certainly looks to be a good test, particularly with those fast unison lines, and there are some interesting effects - just waiting to see how bands get on with the EEb bass/xylophone (or is it glock?) duet :wink:
  18. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Not having the score in front of me just at the minute but I think it's vibraphone in duet with EEb bass.

It certainly does look like a good test and I can't wait to see the tom-toms/bongoes/side drum player getting his/her sticking in the right order, hmmmm? :evil:
  19. shedophone

shedophone Member

I doubt anyone will be attempting it with three players. A lot would be missed out, unless of course you've got three independent arms each...
  20. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

We'll be "attempting it" with only 3 at Faireys.