St George's Day

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sterlingsop, Apr 23, 2006.

1. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

I've been thinking (as you do at daft o'clock on a Sunday morning) as St George's Day falls on a Sunday this year and as there seems to be more people celebrating it these days, how many bands are out this weekend, and in what capacity?

Middleton did a concert last night at Middleton Cricket Club and we're taking part in the Manchester St George's Day Parade this afternoon.

Who else is out, and what will you be doing?
  2. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Me and my daughter are out tonight with Carlton Brass doing a St Georges day concert at Nottingham Albert Hall with a local male voice choir and opera singer. We're doing all English music and the Proms stuff.
    Daughter and several members of the training band were out yesterday with their respective scout and guide troops in the annual Parade to the Minster at Southwell.

St Georges day events seem to be having a bit of a renaissance recently. Its very good to see us celebrating our national day without it being eyed suspiciously by the PC brigade.
  3. NeilW

NeilW Member

Yep. Stonesfield are out tonight doing a "patriotic" evening for the British Legion in Woodstock (Blenheim).

4. andyp

andyp Active Member

I'm helping Banks Brass at the St.George's Day parade in Southport today. Keeping fingers crossed for good weather!
  5. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Was out last night playing at a St Georges Ball in Birminghams Botanical Gardens.
  6. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

The Emley played at a St George's Day Dinner last night. It was all very cosy, the band played in the middle of the dining hall so there wasn't a huge amount of room but the evening went down very well indeed.

We did 3 sets, the final set of course being all the usual xenophobic patriotism that you come to expect from our fine country, you really can't beat it can you! :p (surely no other country does an evening of patriotism like England)

The audience responded very well to the band all evening, the band and soloists alike got excellent applause and when it came to the singing in the final set, they were all in fine voice, helped along no doubt by the copious amounts of booze they were downing.

An excellent evening all round.:biggrin:
  7. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

It's years since I did any kind of concert for St Georges Day. Think the last one I did was with Blackley Band. Remember those Pam?? Do quite miss it to be honest. It's about time we started celebrating our patron saint, Wales, Scotland & especially Ireland seem to do a good job of it! ;)
  8. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

Denton were out yesterday with the local council who were giving out roses. and this afternoon marching for Stockport scouts parade.
  9. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Well, I can report back that the Manchester St Georges Day parade went down extremely well and after one or two pints of John Willie's best to replenish lost fluids the band are back on their feet again!

We've just done TWO HOURS solid marching (and playing) - from Oldham Road to Piccadilly and back again, and the parade was a biggie. Silk Brass were out too (hello lads!) and several pipe bands (grrr!) and it was really nice to see so many children dressed up in various costumes relating to our patron saint. There were loads of costumes on the adults too - including a whole section of people dressed as Roundheads. They were fantastic roaring at the crowds in the streets and "attacking" them with 12-foot pikes. The best has got to be Queen Victoria running down the street from somewhere behind us to a small crowd outside a pub and necking a full pint of lager from some poor unsuspecting bystander. Very very funny to see!

No no no....the BEST has got to be the shire horse completely decked out in rosettes, horse brasses and brass bells. And it wasn't unsocial at all!

Roll on next year where I hope it will be bigger and better......but just a bit shorter!!
  10. supersplit

supersplit Member

All the Bands at the SCABBA Hove Contest today will be playing 'The Standard of St George' as the set March!
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  11. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

We have just done a parade in Derby and we have a concert at the club later too!:)
  12. el maestro

el maestro Member

The Intermediate band did a job today in Middleton!
  13. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

I know - we waved to you as you went past the Lancashire Fold!! :clap:
  14. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

The Egham Band did a St. George's Day Parade and Church Service today for Scout/Cub troops from all over the local area.

We had well over 150 kids on parade, with a 'professional' Parade Marshall (RSM from the Royal Logistics Corps, Aldershot) - All very 'proper'.

The Band played for the Hymns in Church, and we ensured that "Standard of St. George" was played on the 'return' Parade, during which the Salute was taken by the Mayoress of Runnymede.

Obviously, because of this we were unfortunately unable to take part in the SCABA Hove contest today - shame they didn't check their diaries ...
  15. David Sheedy

David Sheedy Member

KM Medway band were one of them playing Standard of St George today at the SCABA spring contest at Hove. Not our best day there but a few pints afterwards certainly helped !
  16. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

We did a st georges day concert last night and today many of the senior band played and marched alongside the junior band who led the whitley bay area scouts.
  17. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

As CK has said we took are place at the heart of the St. George's Day dinner on saturday night! Band played well and the audience were very apprecietive of our efforts!

Sunday Afternoon I did a parade and Church service for Wetherby Band, and learn't about slaying the modern dragons (poverty, starvation, greed etc etc). and Sunday night I conducted Grange Moor in a St. George's day concert in a pub!! Blimey it was tight!, and loud!!!!

oh, and i case you think i was slacking, I played Perc. for the Imps Fri eve, and 9-5 Sat on a recording with Brett Baker (watch out for that one, some amazing playing, I couldn't do some of that even with Valves!!!!)

Busy weekend, but nice to see people waving our national flag with a bit of pride for what we do best! Beer & Food!!!!
  18. el maestro

el maestro Member

I didn't see! lol

I was sight-reading the euph parts (as opposed to 1st bari) so I had to concentrate :p