Sshh . . . you know what!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jack E, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Just had a Sshhmute delivered from Alan Gregory, and tried it for the first time today - so, first impressions.

Very light, but made of a tough plastic rather than sheet metal, so unlikely to be damaged by an average drop onto the floor.

Deceptive on first blowing, as your ear thinks "What's with this pppp stuff - give it some OOMPH!!", and you end up blowing what would probably be FFF if you had no mute in!! And, after 8 bars, look and sound like a landed fish . . . :rolleyes:

From comments I've read elsewhere on here by other people who have used practise mutes, I suspect that's quite common to all of them. You get the same effect if you talk to someone wearing a crash helmet - they tend to shout, as their ears tell them they're talking quietly, so they unconciously crank up the volume.

But it's very civilised to be able to sit in my living room when practising, rather than having to squeeze everything into my phone-box sized toilet / shower room! And to know that I can blow as hard as I want, yet make less noise than a small transistor radio.

One upside is that it will definitely help me to be able to play a proper Forte and Fortissimo - it's giving my lungs a heck of a work-out!! But I find it quite hard to judge the dynamics that I'm actually playing, though that may get easier with a bit more practise on it - early days, yet.

But I can see the sense of what others have said - that it's a good idea to have at least a certain amount of practise without the mute, so I'll make a point of doing that every day, even if it's only for 15 minutes.

All in all, so far, I think it was a good buy, and very fast despatch from Gregory's - ordered on Monday, arrived Wednesday! :)

Jack