SSh! Don't tell 'em

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Kerwintootle, Jul 6, 2005.

What's the right console

1. Gamecube

2. PS2

3. XBox

4. Other (state)

0 vote(s)
  5. None of the above - wait til the new ones

0 vote(s)
  1. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Sorry if it's appeared before.

I want to buy my kids a games console for their birthday. Which do you recommend PS2 or XBOX?

Thanking you
  2. rutty

rutty Active Member

Gamecube ;)

How old are they? All three main consoles are getting on a bit now, but there are plenty of kids games out there.
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Right now I would recommend neither. With Xbox 360 slated for a pre Christmas release and PS3 next year you really would be buying old technology, don't know release dates for NZ/Aus but they tend to follow the Japanese schedule. Having said that, you may be able to get good deals on Xbox with stores selling off old stock in readiness for the new console. For the record, owning both consoles I would say that PS2 is technically better but I like the Xbox more simply for the Xbox live feature.
  4. rutty

rutty Active Member

As much as I can't stand Bill Gates I suppose I'll have to correct you there. The X-box is the most powerful out of all three of the major consoles. The PS2, being the oldest, is lacking in power but has loads more games developed for it.

Fair point regarding the new consoles being due out, but also remember that they'll be far too expensive at launch and there'll be a bit of a dirth of new games to play on them, although I think they're going to be backwards compatible.

Also, don't forget the Gamecube. You won't get Mario on any other console and your kids may well love the little plumber, plus you'll be able to play Zelda too. There's a lack of on-line content though.
  5. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I'm a PS2 fan but only cos I've always had a PS before the Xbox came out.

I would go for a PS2 or Xbox now because the new ones when they come out will be very expensive and hard to get hold of cos of demand. I normally buy the new console after its been out for a year.

Can't speak for the Xbox but with the PS you can still use games from the old format so even if you buy a PS2 now the games will still be ok to use when you upgrade
  6. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Well we have all three, gamecube, xbox and PS2 in our house, I've never played on the PS2 and my brother only bought for 1 game that you can't get for the xbox :tongue: so I think that sums up his feelings of which is better! I really have no idea which is better out of Xbox and Gamecube, but I'd definately say Gamecube is the easier to use, but the Xbox has better graphics.
  7. dyl

dyl Active Member

Worth it for Mario Kart Racing alone! Awesome fun!
  8. Richard_Brigg

Richard_Brigg Member

Get a PS2, a lot better than XBox
  9. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

PS2 has lots more games but I like the games on Xbox more. They are more detailed the graphics are fantastic.
  10. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

PS2 by far, its the better console and there are a wider selection of the Xbox controllers are to could of course wait and give them a late birthday present or xmas pressie and get one of the new generation consoles
  11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

XBOX without a doubt, more powerful machine, better graphics, more reliable DVD player and in a number of games, you can listen to your own custom soundtrack whilst playing.
  12. jonford

jonford Member

I would go PS2 (a poll should of been setup!) Simply because of the large number of games and the new smaller version looks so good.
  13. ted

ted Member

If it's for me, I'd go the Gamecube. The exclusive Nintendo games appear to be very juvenile at first but they just end up being so much fun. Also there are too many new (dodgy) xBox games out there that are just rubbish unless you have access to the online multiplayer options (which can be inaccessible and/or expensive).

Try to find out which one your kids would prefer though, because eventually they're going to end up wanting all 3 consoles (nature of children) and you don't want to be in a position where they're going to say that you didn't get the one that they wanted.

(If it's out of xBox and PS2, my vote is for PS2!)

14. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

15. vonny

vonny Member

I bought my son the ps2, and then his dad went out and bought him an x box... I personality think the ps2 is a better option, but what do i know, a novice when it comes to playstations etc :):).
    Just get your son whatever you feel is best, i am sure he will love it which ever one you choose!

Yvonne :)
  16. vonny

vonny Member

Ooops sorry :oops: - your kids i mean!