spyware message

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by andywooler, Jul 25, 2010.

1. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I use spyware doctor from PC Tools - it has just displayed the following message:

Blocked Potentially Malicious Site

Your request to visit ### themouthpiece.com ### has been blocked.
    Access to ### themouthpiece.com ### has been blocked due to the detection of potentially malicious exploits by Browser Guard.

Sites with malicious exploits may try to install programs that steal private information, use your computers to attack other networked computers or damage your system. Some sites are intentionally set-up to distribute harmful software, but many sites are compromised without their owners' knowledge or permission.

Could I ask the site managers to check nothing is amiss?

2. andyp

andyp Active Member

3. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea why you got that spyware message, but I can tell you that we are not running the software version that is mentioned in the BBC-article, so that bug cannot be the reason.
  5. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Some members are more malicious than others ;)
  6. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Shall we form our own secret forum to get away from them all? :D

Jan: I didn't quote the BBC news item, I purely posted the message I got from a reliable anti virus product.
  7. andyp

andyp Active Member

Even the best products sometimes give false positives - but always better to be safe than sorry.
  8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I have intentionally kept the software at the version we're on which I know was a stable version.

I am unsure at present if I am to spend another wad of cash to update the software or simply leave with better the devil you know et al... :) When vBulletin changed over to V4 - they also significantly upped the price for the full version.

Having said that, everything is OK this end Andy. The system admins I use to mange the server deploy a range of security measures and are also excellent communicators - and I've not received any information that suggests there is a security risk in this version.