Spring for Cornet trigger- today? (Manc)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sparkling_quavers, Oct 27, 2004.

1. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

My 3rd valve cornet trigger spring decided to break last night at rehearsal. I would ideally like to go and get a new one this morning. Anyone online at the moment suggest a place I could go rather than in the city?(due to **** parking or a 1 hour bus journey there and back)! It's a Soverign Cornet, thanks.

2. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I can't suggest anywhere local to you Rach (there are a couple of good music shops in Leicester, but I guess thats not really what you're looking for :roll: ).

What I will say is don't try and fit the new one yourself - one of our cornet players broke his recently and being a practical sort of bloke he decided to fit it himself. Apparently after 3 hours of anglo-saxon swearing and crawling around looking for the escaped spring he gave up and took it back to the shop, who *****d it in 5 minutes :-? .

If you don't get any joy (and lets be honest, I've not been much of a help have I?) maybe you could do what another cornet playing mate did when his spring broke just before a contest, and rig it up using an elastic band. He looped one end around the third valve slide and the other around the lever anchor. He reckoned it was better than the spring as it was "softer" and kept the "tempory fix" for several months!

...here's hoping someone can be of more help than me....:-?

Edit: The ****-out word was fit-ted...didn't realise that was a naughty word ;) :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  3. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Try Paul Andrews in Warrington ( Brass Toff ) , look at the wirebrass website , am sure there is a link there :)

4. Owen S

Owen S Member

Yeah, I tried to do this on the train on the way to work once, since at the time I was going straight from there to band in the evening. A bad mistake.
    Well, it works but I wouldn't recommend it as anything more than an emergency fix. I used this when the water key broke on my, luckily old and knackered, trumpet for a few months, and as the rubber band started to degrade it became welded to the instrument and left a large ugly mark when removed.

5. sparkling_quavers

Thanks everyone I will pop over to Paul Andrews in Warrington :)

6. impycornet

impycornet Member

Rachel,

McQueens in Salford should be able to sort you out if you don't want to go out to Warrington.

7. sparkling_quavers

I have been over to Warrington now thanks :) not that far only 15 minutes as I am right near the M60 (well would have been if I hadnt got lost hehe)

8. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Based on our experience getting to the place where we were meeting the rest of the tMP band for Whit Friday, I'd say that sounds about right ;) Glad you got a spring, Rachel.

9. This thread reminded me of something.............

I never can understand why instrument makers don't make available a little "kit" which would comprise things such as O rings, springs, felts, corks etc.

10. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

it's funny you say that, my besson 928-GS (sovereign cornet) did have a kit, but I didn't need it!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Cornet
    Soverign Cornet
    Spring
    valve cornet
    Cornet trigger- today
  12. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

That cornet better be alright by the weekend Rachel... I'm not having you making excuses...