Spring Festival

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Naval Nick, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Naval Nick

Naval Nick Member

Another Thread about testpiece I know. But the Spring Festival testpiece announcements are generally around this time of year I think? What do people think will be chosen for the Grand Shield, Senior Cup and Senior Trophy? I for one would like to see: -

Vienna Nights for the Grand Shield.

Montage for the Senior Cup

Chivalry for Senior Trophy

Over to you?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Spring Festival
    Senior Cup Chivalry for Senior Trophy
    Grand Shield
    Senior Trophy
    Senior Cup Chivalry
  3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I think that was used for the Senior Cup about four years ago. I've got a better idea, how's about a proper discussion on test-piece choice instead of everyone just listing the pieces they'd like to hear? Take a look at the 'Area Test-Piece Rumours' thread and you will see how boring it gets!:(

4. HUDDSBASSBONE

HUDDSBASSBONE Member

Then don't read it, Bass Trumpet. People are allowed to have their say.

5. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I'd heard that rumour too.

6. HUDDSBASSBONE

HUDDSBASSBONE Member

Having played Vienna Nights, I agree a fantastic piece, but one that 1st section bands may struggle with...

7. horn1

horn1 Member

Since when are bands in the Grand Shield 1st section?

8. Timpking

Timpking Member

Why not use...

Cambridge Variations
    Kings Messenger
    New Jerusalem
    Of Men and Mountains
    Between the Moon and Mexico
    Elgar Variations

I Could go on and on there are loads more quality test pieces that have hardly been used. Lets hope they choose some decent ones.

9. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Pennine Brass and Ashton-under-Lyne were this year.

10. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

It doesn't matter what Nationals grading section a band is in; this is a different contest with its own grading. The Grand Shield is the last step to the British Open - and as such it should be a very stiff test.

11. horn1

horn1 Member

Ah! I missed that!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Spring Festival
    Senior Cup Chivalry for Senior Trophy
    Grand Shield
    Senior Trophy
    Senior Cup Chivalry
  13. Bones

Bones Member

Why not, and here's a thought.

Not bother, and actually just play these pieces for the fun of it.

How many times do we play through a test piece and actually enjoy it for the music, only to have it constrained in contest mode due to the metronome police covering every aspect of performance.

Music as mathematics in my book has never been fun.

Also, I'd quite like to get through the next 2/3 contests without worrying what I have to look forward to in 2008.

2008 will be different. I owe it to myself, my friends, my nearest and dearest and my career. All of which I have sadly neglected over the last 2 years due to excessive contesting.

Yes, I am hacked off, if anyone couldn't tell. :)

14. horn1

horn1 Member

You've got a point! I like contesting but have to admit that although I have a passing interest in what I'm going to be playing in the near future I certainly won't be loosing sleep over it. As always I look forward to discovering a new piece of music or possibly rediscovering an old one.

Rich - you need to join a band that contest less ;-)

15. Bones

Bones Member

And pref one that is at the end of the road, is top section, has it's own bar, pays retainers, etc etc.

Back to topic though.

Vienna Nights. Too soon to use
    Montage. Was used

There seems to be an undercurrent of old pieces being selcted. Life Divine, Festival music etc. Expect something like that I would suspect.

Salute to Youth for the Trophy
    Epic Symphony for the Cup
    Benvenuto Cellini for the Shield.

Anything got to be better than the quaver engine pieces hefting up at the moment.

16. horn1

horn1 Member

Dream on!

Ooohh! I wonder what you're talking about! ;-)

Personally I'd like to see Lowry Sketchbook picked for something. Seriously underated I reckon!

17. HUDDSBASSBONE

HUDDSBASSBONE Member

Sorry, my mistake - no insult intended! I think I was on another train of thought when I wrote that.

18. HUDDSBASSBONE

HUDDSBASSBONE Member

What about getting the Grand Shield competitors to play the previous years' Open test piece.

If people are wanting a stiff test, that will prove who deserves to go into the Open then that ought to provide it!

19. HUDDSBASSBONE

HUDDSBASSBONE Member

Ignore my last post. Just realised how thick it sounds!

20. Super Ph

Super Ph Member

I think it's a bit of a fallacy making them play the Open piece, whether last year's or 50 years ago - it can become a lottery. Some pretty ropey bands have done well in the Shield lately, and it hasn't really improved the competition in the Open.

If there are 1st section bands in there, you have to be realistic - it should be a piece that 1st section bands have some hope of playing

21. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

I don't really understand where you are coming from here, the First Section bands get to the Grand Shield by merit. Look at their results over the last few years to see that. I think you need to look at past results and the ability of the bands in question before you make the sweeping statement you make in your second paragraph. Are you saying bands like Pennine can't play the Open test piece of 50 years ago?:rolleyes:

I am sure the First Section bands in all three sections of the Grand Shield will rise to whatever test pieces come their way and put on a good show. To say it should be a piece 1st Section bands should be able to play is silly. It is meant to test the bands there.......whatever section they are. It is the qualifying rounds of the Open after all. You state that the Grand Shield hasn't really improved the Open and you want to dumb down the test pieces!!!

Would you like to mention the 'ropey' bands that have done well at the Grand Shield recently, I am sure we would love to know what you have to say.:confused:

May I ask what section band you play in?

22. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Now to the test pieces:-
    I would like to see a mix of old and newish......Between the Moon and Mexico, Diversions on a Bass Theme, Salute to Youth, Cloudcatcher Fells, Fantasy for Brass Band.....I could go on but I won't!!