Spring Festival 2013

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Uncle Bryn, May 7, 2013.

1. Uncle Bryn

Uncle Bryn Member

Anyone have any strong feelings on the contenders on Saturday (Shield should be a straight fight between Flowers and Tongwynlais but Rothwell could be in with a shout).

Anyone have any thoughts about the "relaxed" registration rules in place for the weekend?

2. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

The shield is far from a straight fight between 2 bands, there's a lot of very good bands there that on their day, could win the contest.

3. Whitburn, Milnrow, Flowers, Wingates, Rothwell, Hammonds, Kirky, Marsden............ Great line up.

4. critic

critic Member

correct

5. Uncle Bryn

Uncle Bryn Member

Will go with a prediction of

1. Tong
    2. Flowers
    3. Rothwell
    4. Milnrow

Where's Paddy when you need him!

6. kierendinno

kierendinno Member

Looking forward to it; my first ever Spring Festival... Going to miss working on Red Priest though! Tough line-up for the shield should make for a brilliant contest :)... Good luck everyone! X

7. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Ask Leyland and Tred. how hard it is to get out of the Shield. A band has to play out of its skin - even then a hefty dose of luck is needed. And if you make it, what do you get? An Augustful of band practice. Sometimes you just gotta be careful what you wish for.

8. tojo

tojo Member

lol , Alyn , keeps us young though

9. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

They are all tough sections - tough because a lot of the bands are so closely matched, and the music is wisely chosen to test each and every one of them. The sheer size of sections (and 20 bands seems a trifling number compared to the old Belle Vue marathons) makes it as much a challenge for the adjudicators, too.

I'm greatly looking forward to playing in the Trophy (on possibly my favourite piece of band music ever) and hearing some great performances in all sections, with maybe a sparkling mineral water or two along the way - but I'd hate to offer any predictions before a single note has been played in anger. That would take the fun out of it, for one thing.

10. All4Brass

All4Brass Member

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Spring Festival 2013
    MoominDave
    Baglin
    Grand Shield
  12. All4Brass

All4Brass Member

13. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Did someone mention a "two-horse" race? Ha!
    Congrats to the qualifiers from the Shield and a
    huge "well-done" to Burry Port. Newtongrange
    were great and so was Oldham.
    Can the dep situation be resolved for next year? Bit
    of a farce today - I heard that some bands had 8-10 deps. Crazy.

14. critic

critic Member

Heard most bands in the Shield . well done Milnrow a very musical show as was Kirky thought Rothwell had done enough to qualify plus a good reading
    from Whitburn but to many slips .At the bottom of the four relagated bands thought Marsden had some good solo playing but trombone section struggled and a lot of bands became harsh in sound as the piece developed. Great piece which was as big a test for the MD,s as it was for the players.

15. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Well done those who celebrate. But come on, only two bands up and down from the open? lol. Bit of a closed shop there. Why can't 4 bands go up and down. I've been to the open for many years and don't think that's harsh.

16. critic

critic Member

PS heard a couple in the trophy and no feeling and emotion in the playing at all can have no complaints with there result. Bland is a under statement and totally lacked the understanding of the music .

17. To be fair, very, very few adjudicators take note of "being musical". In my experience all they look for is the right notes, in the right place, in tune, with some sort of balance. Furthermore the maxim amongst most "top" bands seems to be "when marked loud, play very loud," and "when marked fast, play very fast."
    I think we're kidding ourselves if we believe that contesting has anything to do with "being musical."

18. Uncle Bryn

Uncle Bryn Member

Talk in the hall that Kirkintilloch qualified with 11 deps.

For all those who say that registration doesn't matter now have a live example of the consequence.

19. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Had a great day out yesterday, until Frank Renton started wittering on - surprised nobody threw anything at him, though someone did tell him to get the earlier train, which went down a storm! :wink:

20. simonium

simonium Member

Did he start by saying, "when I conducted Grimethorpe"? :)

21. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

If that's how they want/have to run their band, good luck to them. It obviously worked out yesterday. It won't always. It's not exactly 'pot-hunting' when it's a contest as prestigious as the Grand Shield, is it?

Incidentally - a stellar result for Aldbourne - what a list of bands to sit above!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Spring Festival 2013
    MoominDave
    Baglin
    Grand Shield