spring festival 2012

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by ringa, Oct 21, 2011.

1. ringa

ringa Member

does anyone know or has heard (from reliable sources) test piece choices for Blackpool 2012? especially senior cup?

2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

The Open/Spring Festival organisation tends to be a lot less leaky than the Nationals, and I don't think there's any rumours floating around yet!
    Historically they've been announced soon after Pontins, so I expect we'll hear for sure in the next couple of weeks.

3. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

If the organisers run to the form they have over the past few years I would expect to see 'on the shoulders of giants' for the Grand Shield, you can't really attempt to predict the cup; Year of the Dragon one year and Prisms the next? No real pattern on show here

4. ringa

ringa Member

prisms was a mix up though Dan, wasn't it?

5. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I don't know, that's the first I've heard that it was

6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Whatever happens, surely it can't be another old-school piece for the trophy. Not after Epic Symphony, Leroy Dies and Benvenuto Cellini in the last four years, with only Spectrum to offer something more modern.....

7. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Shoulders of Giants for the Shield, secretary had the letter today. Others are Elgar Variations and Chivalry.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  8. Thirteen Ball

Elgar Variations is a belter.

Don't know Chivalry at all though.....

Which is for which section?

9. bcbeuph

bcbeuph Member

Elgar Variations was used in 2008 for the Senior Cup.

10. Accidental

I would guess Elgar Variations is for the Trophy because it was set for the Cup in 2008.

edit - cross posted and don't know how to delete, d'oh!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Blackpool
    test piece choices
    spring festival
    senior cup
    reliable sources
  12. Bones

Bones Member

Chivalry was the Masters test piece some years ago. Martn ellerby, based on the film music of Korngold. Quite nice actually

13. boourns

boourns Member

Having played it at the Cup in 2008, surely it's too hard for the Trophy? Chivalry would seem the likelier choice, but that would mean the same piece being chosen for the Cup twice in 5 years?

It also means two Martin Ellerby pieces are being used - is there a particular reason for this?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  14. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Dammit, I really hope we get another 'second bite at the cherry' invite. This is one of my favourite pieces - its a cracker!

But surely its harder than Chivalry? I've only played Chivalry a couple of times and only ever looked through the score of Elgar, but on paper Elgar looks much much more difficult. So I'd expect Chivalry to be the Trophy piece.

I still want to go again though...

EDIT: Oops! Cross posted!!

15. Accidental

just got home and opened the letter, its definitely Elgar Variations for the Cup.

16. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Lovely piece. I believe Leyland won the Masters on it back in 2003.

17. baridis

baridis Member

I don't know Chivalry, but the other 2 are great choices. :clap:

I'm looking forward to having another crack at Shoulders of Giants, and will definitely go and see a few of the bands in the Senior Cup on the Elgar.

18. Thirteen Ball

Same piece, same section, twice in five years? There must be an Ellerby anniversary or something - I can't think of any other reason for that happening.

19. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Am I the only person who feels slightly disappointed at the selection of Elgar Variations? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a tremendous piece of music, we played it at the English Nationals this year and I thoroughly enjoyed it. However, with such a wealth of music on display I don't think it's too much to ask for a bit of variation, if they want to use Ellerby then how about Malcolm Arnold Variations, or something from another composer? There's plenty to choose from

20. I agree with Dan, its disappointing for the cup and the shield. As good as these pieces are, its like we are stuck in a strange sort of time warp, churning out the same stuff. I played in the cup in 2008 and if I had to play the same piece again in the same contest I dont think I could hack it. I wonder when was the last time a brand new piece was used at this contest.

IMHO audiences and bands want some fresh new music.

Perhaps next year?

Paul.

21. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Blackpool
    test piece choices
    spring festival
    senior cup
    reliable sources