Spring Festival 2011 Test Pieces Announced

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Bass Man, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Courtesy of 4barsrest, the test pieces for the 2011 Spring Festival have been announced as:

Grand Shield - Titans Progress (Hermann Pallhuber)

Senior Cup - Prisms (Peter Graham)

Senior Trophy - Benvenuto Cellini (Berlioz, arr. Dr Christian Jenkins)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Spring Festival 2011 Test Pieces
    Benvenuto Cellini
    Christian Jenkins
    Spring Festival
    Grand Shield - Titans Progress
  3. Ali

Ali Member

Titans for the shield? Belt up folks as there are going to be some severe car crashes!!!! Rock hard doesn't start to describe it!!!! Flipping awesome piece though. Good luck to you all!!!!

4. yoda

yoda Member

They are all very stiff tests :)

should be fun.

5. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I can't wait to get to grips with Titan's Progress, not before Paganini though :clap::clap::clap:

6. Kjata

Kjata Member

I've said exactly that to some friends.... Although Vienna nights wasn't too bad for the shield, not as many butchering performances as I was expecting.
    I'm gutted I can't play it now... it's still my favourite band piece!

7. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

8. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Wow. Yorkshire Imps to be playing a piece commisioned by Yorkshire Imps 25 years ago.
    I can't say i've ever heard Prisms so i'll have to dig out a recording off someone.

9. Ali

Ali Member

My comments are not mend to offend anyone and I apologise in advance if they do. Fac is titans is possibly one of the top five hardest pieces I've ever had the pleasure of playing. I don't think Vienna nights comes close to some of the parts in titans. I do like the idea that the Bands in the shield have to play recent open pieces though. Shoulder of giants next year then? good luck to all the competing bands next year. I wish you all the very best and will
    Keep my fingers crossed for you all but I still reckon that some of you may need to fasten your seatbelts!!! I know I did (an thankfully managed to negotiate it although I had three weeks of sleepless nights)!!!

10. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

It will be if the organisers continue with this mentality of selecting previous pieces

11. Ali

Ali Member

Good luck with that one as well!!!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Spring Festival 2011 Test Pieces
    Benvenuto Cellini
    Christian Jenkins
    Spring Festival
    Grand Shield - Titans Progress
  13. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Im sure no one is offended at all Al.. Just out of interest, how did Leyland find the piece and what was your result?

14. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

We'll struggle with Titans Progress, but that's life.

More worrying is the massive gap between Prisms and it. Prisms is in no way a preparation for a piece like Titan or Shoulder of Giants! And no where near as difficult as last year's YoD.

15. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Great test pieces here!! Should be a very interesting day for Grand Shield bands!!

What a horrendous score to play as far as GS bands go!!

Good luck to all participating bands!!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  16. Ali

Ali Member

Hi Donna. Well, I'm sure the band really enjoyed it. It's fantastic music and a proper challenge. With Jason in charge we did an awful lot of rehearsals and in the end it paid off for us. We came fourth on the day and we played out of our skins. It was a terrific performance but I have to say that I'm very lucky to play for a band like Leyland. Look around the stand and there is quality all around. Jason was also very pedantic and went into the most minute details.

I proper struggled with the fugue part of the piece but between me and my partner in crime, we got through. Bear in mind though that a few bars wouldn't really effect the overall picture and thankfully it didn't. It's very much a band piece and people will be whistling the theme long after you've played it. I still do now!!!

Make sure that you put in the work because it's very demanding, both on the fingers and stamina. I'm sure that everyone playing it will love it and I know the audience really will.

17. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Heard it at the Open, and Leyland's concert performance at the Bridgewater the week before. My missus, who is a musician but most decidedly NOT a bander, turned round after the concert performance and said "good grief that sounds hard"!

Had a quick look through the score just to confirm what I pretty much knew; it's gonna be a right swine to get right. Really looking forward to it though. And let's face it, to get to the Open and hold your own, a band needs to be playing pieces like this, and playing them well.

From what I remember of 2009, the bands I enjoyed (not neccesarily all in the frame, mind you) were the ones that really got to grips with that dark Mahler style. The farandole, especially. Bring it on :tup

Glad I'm not doing Prisms though. Nothing against it, it's a good piece, but I would really question whether it's hard enough for this contest. Surely each contest should act as a stepping stone to the next?

18. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Titan's Progress - get those valves in full working order, basses!!! :shock:
    Prisms, though, is far too easy a test for the Senior Cup. I have conducted this piece with a band who were of a good 2nd section standard at the time, though (and I know they will neither disagree nor take offence) they were certainly not a band that could have competed in the first or championship section with any return. Admittedly though they were well drilled on the piece prior even to my appointment, and went on to give a very competent reading of it. This will not, in my opinion, sort the bands out. Very strange choice (but great music, so I will make sure I go in for a listen!)

19. critic

critic Member

GREAT POST Ali titans is the hardest test yet for grand shield has for the senior trophy piece there will be many casualitys in that one im surprised by the choice its as difficult as prisms if not more so and prisms is hard enough wrong way round for me

20. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Spot on. Played it in the 2nd section with Middleton and did a reasonable job of it. It was too easy for top section bands in 1989.

Should mean a lot a decent performances though. I might have to tear myself away from the bar...

21. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Interesting choice of Chris Jenkin's arrangement of Benvenuto for the trophy. Not going to be easy for the bands.

22. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Andy you are spot on here with this one i played it in 1989 with Newhall in Championship section it was the bands first time back in Championship section although the band came 8/12 the adjudicator said all the bands had made a very good showing of the piece from first to the bottom placed.
    I went to 3 areas to hear the piece and never really heard a poor performance at all so i cant see it been to much of a problem this time around.
    It was also used i think for the 1st section national finals a few years ago to.