Spring Festival 2009 pieces announced...

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Simon Preshom, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

Grand Shield - Contest Music, Wilfred Heaton

Senior Cup - Pageantry, Hebert Howells

Senior Trophy - Spectrum, Gilbert Vinter

2. smaca

smaca Active Member

Not sure who picks these pieces, but hats off to you whoever you are------fantastic choices.:clap:
  3. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

I agree, the choices are great. As a euph player, I particularly like the choice of 'Spectrum', Vinter knew what euph playing is all about.
    The other two are also enjoyable to play and listen to, so will make an outstanding day!:clap:
  4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Oh to be in the grand shield this year.....

Contest music is one of my favourites.
  5. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

So glad I've got The Complete Champions CD. First of all Salute to Youth and now Contest Music! ;)
  6. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Great choices! Can't wait to get stuck in to Contest Music.
  7. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Now I wish I was playing Contest Music OR Spectrum - two of my faves they are. Pageantry I cannot stand at all, mainly coz I've done it a million times now lol! Oh well......
  8. sop 1

sop 1 Member

Yea me too! both great test pieces! :clap:
  9. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

Feel for the Championship Section bands in the Senior Trophy mind!!
  10. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Interesting choices, but I seem to think we've gone into a bit of a Vinter overload at the moment, what with JC for the 1st section Areas this year and Salute to Youth for the top section in 2009. My band, having been promoted, have got Vinter 2 years running. If they had to pick a Vinter piece, perhaps Variations on a 9th or Triumphant Rhapsody would have been a tougher test. Spectrum is a great piece, but it's so often played by 1st and 2nd section bands, leaving the top section bands wanting more to do.

Can't argue with the Heaton and Howells, though. Certainly in most people's top ten of all-time greats. The Spring Festival has always been an audience-friendly contest, so I think the selection of these two pieces is a great choice.

More's to the point, I didn't play at Blackpool last year, for the 1st time in a number of years and I missed the weekend terribly. If anybody's short of a trombone, PM me!
  11. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Bearing in mind the Vinter anniversary in 2009, at least one of his pieces was almost inevitable. Watch out for one at the finals and at Pontins as well.....

Spectrum is Vinter's hardest piece, for me. I played it when it was the Grand Shield testpiece about 15 years ago and it's full of pitfalls. 1st and 2nd section bands might play it often, but especially in the 2nd section all they do is get to the end with the minimum of splits. I know that you know there's more to it than that....;)

While these are all great pieces of music, I'm slightly disappointed that the newest one is over 35 years old. I'd have preferred one of the contests to have a newer piece (last 20 years or so, there are list of underused quality pieces all over tMP). Still, these will all be tough, and not to be underestimated.
  12. Di B

Di B Member

Agree that vinter writes well for euph spectrum voan and entertainments all have good euph parts. Think that even though most consider spectrum to be easy it isnt. Should be fairly easy to spot the classy performances imo.

Looking forward getting stuck into contest music as I havent played it before. Hows the 2nd euph part?
  13. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Almost the same as the solo euph part ;)

Relatively speaking the euph part is easier than a lot of recent pieces.....no super Qs or sustained high playing, lip trills, glissandi or anything....but it's overall a very evil piece.

Might have to go with my ears engaged to this....one of my faves :D
  14. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Think I listened to too much Vinter during the 70's....never ever want to hear his stuff ever again....:(
  15. Di B

Di B Member

Ha ha just without the pressure of the nasty solos! Its why I sit there! :)

That said its good to know the euph parts are the same.... They were quite different in Vienna nights.
  16. Bass Trumpet

I didn't say they got it right ;)
  17. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

If you are just going to listen which section would you pick out of the 3 to listen to ALL the bands play.
    Its a very hard choice if you ask me.
  18. Bass Trumpet

I'm torn between Pageantry and Contest Music. Half and half allowed?
  19. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I cant understand why;
    Vinter knew how to get the best out of bands and STILL does today with the music he wrote
  20. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Nope lol