Spring Festival 2008

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by weemarky, Apr 8, 2008.

1. weemarky

weemarky Member

Dont see a thread on it yet and I'm already buzzing about it so here it is!

Any ideas of competitors for the Shield, Cup and Trophy?

Crackin test piece for the Cup. Elgar Variations... Cant wait!!!!!

2. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Have a look in the predictions bit on here for a list of all bands in each contest.:tup

3. Matt the Shed

Matt the Shed Member

Is there really only bass drum, cymbals and snare drum in this year's Senior Trophy percussion parts (Epic Symphony)? I did hear a rumour that there might have been some more parts written...

If this is the case I might manage a few more drinks the night before than last year!:biggrin:

4. tojo

tojo Member

was s timp part written but you will have to ask the orginisers if they are using that arrangement

5. JTKBrass

JTKBrass Member

News on 4br about using the amended parts at the contest. New edition to be used, with some bits of it chopped out.

6. Bassbabe

Bassbabe New Member

7. when we first got out Epic Symphony I thought I wouldn't look forwayrd to this contest! Its slowly growing on me though, Looking forward to staying in a Blackpool hotel and meeting your average Blackpool Landlady hehe

8. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Been going a bit 'short' lately?;)

9. madsaz

madsaz Member

Epic is a great piece - we had an own choice run on it a couple of years ago, but most adjudicators didn't think it sounded hard enough. Its ****** hard to play it well and I love it.

Still, Elgar looks like fun too....

10. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Elgar may look like fun but when you play it.............

Absolutely fantastic to listen to, one of my all time favourites, but it's absolutely evil to play. It's quite high as well. Really disappointed i can't go, again this year but will have to try and get there next year.

Good Luck to all Soloists in Senior Cup.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Spring Festival 2008
    HA HA
    I
    no2taz
  12. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Nothing better than a bit of blackpool!!

Expect to see all bandsmen at 'Flares' on saturday night please!

13. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

I have to agree, and, unlike you, I've got over 30 years' experience of test pieces at every level. (Thought I'd get that little 'dig' in before anyone else does).

It's not so often that a new piece comes along which is so listenable, yet offers a real challenge, both technically and musically to sort out the bands, and is a pleasure to rehearse - or am I a biased shed-builder?

My thoughts go out in particular to the Euphonium players, especially after hearing David Childs make the solo sound so easy on the Cory recording from the Europeans.

Looking forward to it.

Blaster

14. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Thanks. :rolleyes: ;)

15. barrytone

barrytone Member

Enjoy playing Elgar Variations but in some of the passages the "tune" would easily pass for an Arban exercise. I am told it's pleasant to listen to. The solo bari part is much easier than it was in Dances and Allelujas, not as lofty and no real baritone solo to speak of. Very little that is exposed and not much to challenge technically but other parts within the band are fiendishly difficult. As a band piece, it's very demanding. Roll on Blackpool!

16. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

Too right. It was good to see the often over-looked baritone getting a decent part last year. I seem to recall it troubled several players at the English Nationals when it was first used in 2006. Cracking part for the Sooty Xylophone also, but all things considered, Elgar gets my vote.

17. Di B

Di B Member

Anyone have an opinion on Vienna Nights? I think all the parts have enough to challenge individuals and it is difficult to fit al the parts together but its lovely to listen to and I am enjoying playing it. Would like to know opinions of others.

18. Ali

Ali Member

Awesome piece Di. Played it at the Open and enjoyed it then and I still enjoy it now!!!

19. no2taz

no2taz Member

looking forward to epic ... never played it before but it looks loke it will be a good chalenge. and then Flares here we come HA HA

20. barrytone

barrytone Member

I absolutely love Vienna Nights, I premiered the piece at the Open with Hebden Bridge and Phil Wilby conducted it. It was an awesome experience. The Eb bass solo is the most wonderful passage I've ever heard for a bass in any test piece, my sister loved playing it but unfortunately she hasn't got a band for the Spring Festival. Anyone need an Eb bass for Vienna Nights, let me know. She won't need many rehearsals as she knows the piece well and still plays her solo regularly for sound/breath/intonation practice.

21. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Don't you sleep?;) Seriously, though, I don't think anyone should be surprised if you hit the frame at your first attempt.....

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Spring Festival 2008
    HA HA
    I
    no2taz