Spring Festival 2007-Test Pieces

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by AndyCat, Nov 11, 2006.

1. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

What a good set of pieces!

Shield - A Night To Sing - Tovey
    Cup - Dances and Alleluias - Sparke
    Trophy - Ballet For Band - Horovitz

I think these are a very good choice personally.
  2. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Are these official?
  3. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Yes they are - we got our invitation this morning :D
  4. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I agree, all three are excellent choices
  5. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Great choices... A little surprised to see Night to Sing used so soon, but it is a great piece of music, and I know I'm looking forward to it already! Hopr for an early draw infact, as it would be nice to listen to a few bands in the other sections too - absolutely love Ballet for Band, and Dances and Alleluias was wonderful to rehearse for the English Nationals in July too.
  6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

More like A NIGHT TO CRY.
    One of the worst pieces that as been picked over the last few years.
    But thats just my opinion
  7. Di

Di Active Member

Shame you feel that way Ian. Its a very descriptive piece and I for one am looking forward to the contest now. :)
  8. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

:eek: I thought it was superb - each to their own.

I'll definitely go for a listen this year, three absolutely cracking choices.
  9. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

..and its alright for those bands fresh from out of the Open who unfortunately are in the Shield this year :S
  10. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Not the first time it's happened recently either - wasn't Les Preludes used in a similar way? If you think about it, it's quite cunning....let's test the potential Open candidates with a very recent Open test piece.
  11. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

All good pieces - but why use them so soon after being used within the last year?
  12. OneTonBass

OneTonBass Member

Good choice of pieces (until I see my part!)
    Any Ideas who publishes "A Night To Sing " as not available by JustMusic?
  13. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Night to Sing is winwood I think. Great piece and looking forward to it already. What with that and Isiah 40 and On Alderly Edge euph players have got their work cut out next year.

14. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Almost certainly published by Winwood. I can get this for you if you need a set. ;)
  15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Any chance that there'll be some decent study scores available this time???
  16. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

No idea! I can ask though......
  17. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Really wish I was playing in the Cup :(
  18. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

well my dad went to the Open when it was used at Open and said the music was nothing like the war was set out to be with that im sure if my dad was still alive today he would say the same thing:After all my dad was brought up during the war, plus my dad played in a brass band as well.
    Blitz is a far much better piece as you can see pictures in the music and a story been told with in the piece.:clap:
  19. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I have to disagree with your view Ian, as A Night to Sing and Blitz are entirely different in the images/ memories that they aim to depict! A Night to Sing is based upon VE day at the end of the war (it has nothing to do with the conflict in the war itself like you say!?) and the celebrations held across the country, and also expresses the thoughts of many that the celebrations were inappropriate due to the loss of lives in the war- it's a very detailed, challenging and intricate work that i'm sure many bands will really enjoy playing! Blitz on the other hand is completely opposite in what it aims to depict, in that it shows the panic and devastation caused by bombing runs on London during the war.
  20. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Ah, now I know why I couldn't 'get' the piece at Pontins! :oops: For someone who had never heard this piece, I was totally unable to tell whether the bits bobbing in here and there, should have been bobbing in here and there! Not a piece to listen to at a contest and try and predict the best performance unless you absolutely know the piece inside out.