Spring Festival 2006

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by yorkie19, Sep 20, 2005.

1. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Just curious to see what other people think. I read the few posts in the British Open thread but it got locked before I could jump in with a reply.

Personally, I think the test pieces are good choices. They will push the bands that are involved in the competition and at the end of the day, don't we want the best of the best involved in the British Open?

I'm looking forward to it already.
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

Now it has a proper thread of its own, it might help those who don't know the choice of test-pieces if we mentioned them:

Grand Shield - Whitsun Wakes (Michael Ball)
    Senior Cup - Harmony Music (Philip Sparke)
    Senior Trophy - Essence Of Time (Peter Graham)

Discuss away..............
  3. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Like this year - as pieces of music and suitable tests, they are good but:

Whitsun Wakes - Last used 2002 for areas
    Harmony Music - Last used this years Butlins
    Essence of Time - fair enough, has not been used for a while

So many listenable challenging pieces that have been used very little and yet we go back to the ones recently used.

What about Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, New Jerusalem, Cambridge Variations, Alderley Edge to name but a few. Many classics that may not be as hard technically but immense musical challenges by Ball, Vinter etc are ignored too.
  4. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Whitsun Wakes is a great piece , everyone has loads to do ( Even Bass Trom before the comments pile up ) massive test of Stamina , style , testing cadenza and solo parts , fantastic slow movement brilliant writing , I like the Music of Michael Ball will enjoy working this one again :)
    Harmony Music is a belter , fantastic piece for the senior cup , mega taxing all round the band , hard to think it was written in 1987
    Essence of time , I remember hearing Dodworth at the Grand Shield with Peter Roberts ( even all the cornet solos , rep part and his own sop part ) , great choice for the trophy
  5. persins

persins Member

I can only echo this. I have played both Whitsun Wakes and Harmony Music they will both challenge all the bands in their respective sections. I haven't encountered Essence of Time before so can't really comment on that!
  6. when did land of the long white cloud last get used?, thats a hard piece with some nice music and tricky technicalities in it, does anyone think that with essence of time being a champ. section piece that with the senior cup including some 1st section bands that it may be a little too hard for these bands to even put in an average performance?, thats no disrespect to the 1st section bands competing, its just that essence of time is flippin hard, ive played it at college and no doubts its a belter of a piece.

1 question tho, does anyone have a list of there bands competing in the 3 contests this time?
  7. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

It is no cake walk but it is not as difficult as it was when first played in 1990. Think it has been mentioned that it was used as a 1st Section Nationals test a few years later. I should be well within the capabilites of Senior Trophy Bands - if some bands struggle then, isn't it the idea to find the best bands to get closer and closer to the best contest in the world.
  8. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

That's interesting! Have some parts been cut out since then? :p

(Sorry John! Well done on Saturday)
  9. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

What I mean is that many of the bands will competing at the Senior Cup will have tackled difficult pieces like Tristan Encounters, Jazz and Whitsun Wakes in recent area competitions. I don't think there is any question that the technical ability of players has improved in the last 15 years: that's my reasoning behind suggesting that 'Essence' will still prove a test but not to the degree of 1990
  10. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Pieced together from 4barsrest:

Grand Shield
    Aveley and Newham
    Besses o'th'Barn
    Burry Port Town
    Carlton Main
    Mount Charles
    Wooley Pritchard Sovereign

Senior Cup
    Alliance Brass
    Bo'ness and Carriden
    Bournemouth Concert
    Dobcross Silver
    Glossop Old
    Knottingley Silver
    Jaguar (Coventry)
    Newstead Welfare
    Pemberton Old
    Tongwynlais Temperance
    Unison Kinneil

Senior Trophy
    BHK Horden
    Camborne Town
    Kingdom Brass
    Ratby Co-operative
    Thoresby Colliery
    United Co-op Crewe
    United Co-op Yorkshire
    Welwyn Garden City
    plus 6 bands to be decided

Any errors / omissions are my own fault.
  11. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Harmony Music is too hard a choice for the Senior Cup, no disrespect to the bands in that section but it is a real monster.
  12. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

And to add to this I'd say that although it is a difficult piece, it's all relative and Land of the Long White Cloud is, on the contrary, way too easy for those bands.
  13. Just like to say that ithink all 3 pieces are an excellent choice.Yes harmony music is hard but if you want to play in the open then these are the sort of pieces you need to play and try to conqer.People should accept the choice get on with practicing and try to do their best.It should be a great day for players and audience alike.
  14. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I agree , Harmony music is a corker but I've heard BTM playing it brilliantly in the past , am sure the bands will suprise everyone and there will be loads of great performances of it , same with essence of time and Whitsun Wakes.
  15. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

OK I'll put it another way - Harmony Music is harder than Whitsun Wakes in my opinion. I'm not whinging about the choices as I think all three are great pieces, I'm just stating my opinion with regard the section selection.
  16. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

3 top pieces for the bands to get there teeth into here.
    Its a toss up which piece you like the most to go and listen to if you want to hear ALL THE BANDS IN 1 SECTION ONLY i would go for Whitsun Wakes by the toss of a coin over the other 2 to HEAR ALL PERFORMANCES in the Grand Shield.
    As some of you know I DO HEAR ALL OF THE bands when i go to a contest, the most recent been BRITISH OPEN 2005 as any one read my comments yet that have been posted in the Thread for the British Open on the main site?:biggrin:
  17. lewis

lewis Member

Harmony better than Wakes

I have to say I'm over the moon that Whitsun Wakes and Harmony music have been put this way round, even though I think I agree Harmony Music is harder. If I remembere from the areas a few years back Whitsun Wakes really does have some nice moments but it is all a tad bitty and it never really flows. Just my opinion.

Really looking forward to Harmony Music.
  18. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I'd agree there. IMHO, all the Grand Sheild bands will play Whitsun Wakes without any difficulty, but I'm sure that many of the Trophy bands will struggle with Harmony Music. Both great pieces though. Cant comment on Essence of Time, I'm not too familiar with the piece I'm afraid.
  19. its certainly a set of contests that should be heavily attended by bb fans as all 3 are very listenable pieces, aswell as fairly hard to play aswell, think i'll go up there and support my former band lindley, GOOD LUCK GUYS! :D
  20. andy;-)

andy;-) Member

Essence of time - fairly playable 1st section test piece

Harmony Music - Ho Ho good luck........if you want to hear how it should be played have a listen to the European CD from 1999 in Munich when YBS won the own choice on it - there are probably only a couple of bands in the country that could even come close to that performance (and as you could imagine they are already in the Open).