Spread the word!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by smila, Sep 24, 2006.

1. smila

smila Member

Hi guys, thanks for all your replies!!
    Didn't know this debate would still be on-going - I posted it last month!!
    :clap: Tara
    xx

2. 1st Position

1st Position Member

But that 10% is comparable to other activities/hobbies that people start with all good intentions, and then drop out. How many of us have joined a gym, paid the fees and then only gone twice? How many children start at karate, or dance, or swimming because their friend at school has started, and then realise that they don't like it. Those two of the twenty are the ones that are worth it all, and especially if you can get parents and their children at the same time. Many bands are reliant on family membership, and it quite often seems that once a family group is involved more of the family join up as players or helpers.

3. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I agree.

Has anything really changed in banding...? I wouldn't have thought so. Anything that requires dedication will seperate a bright idea from real ambition. How many times do you hear someone say "I wish I could play an instrument" or ""I could never play an instrument".... the answer of course is; "sure you can... just get a teacher, commit to daily practice, join a band, work at it even when you might fancy something else, fight through the idea of giving up.... " and if you're still at it in 20 years time you can be very proud, but far from teenage!:tup

4. Sopha

Sopha Active Member

I Know and me being myself i went through a few rough times aswell but look where i am now! I really enjoy playing aswell and only if other teenagers would think what i'm thinking! Also i'v tried to encourage some of my freinds to come along, but like others they give up once they know how much time and commiment you have to put into it. I think thats the main point that puts others off joining! But if your not commited then i dont think you should belong to a brass band! i mean i had two major spinal operations and i was back and playing within 2 weeks!! Very Surprising I know but i love banding and enjoy it so much! if only we could encouridge more people like myself!
    Its a real shame that people give up but some times you cant persuade people to stay! :(

5. Kaskaey

Kaskaey Member

the problem around my band is that there are too many bands! Every cornet- er is already snapped up and french horns dont seem to want to play a tenor horn, and the trumpets snub their noses up at my beautifully petite cornet! The last few players enrolled however have been trumpets and a french horn. Weve found that if you take them on an outing- say to a contest, they tend to stay cause they see what an amazing community brass banders have. Weve now started going into primary schools and getting them to learn instruments so that in about 2 years we will have more brass players on the way.

6. 1st Position

1st Position Member

Too many bands, NEVER! Perhaps too many bands but not enough players?

Great idea, because if they get to a contest then they must also get some idea of the effort it takes to put on such a performance. The social side may be a huge plus point, but if they realise what it takes to fully participate in the social, and want to stay, thats a huge bonus.

Why wait the two years? Why not get them down to rehearsal every now and again, to sit in with the regular band? Some of that enjoyment, encouragement, experience, may work wonders. And, I have to say, some players could possibly fill a role within a band before they have played for two years.

7. catherine_S

catherine_S Member

Interesting - that's about the same proportion we reckon to get - glad it's not just us;)

The way I look at it though, from that group of 20, that's 18 who now know that they don't want to do it - they won't go through life saying "I always wanted to play an instrument and never got a chance" - a sad comment I have heard from older people whose children/ grandchildren are learning at school.

For us the problem seems to be that the talented, interested teenagers are the ones who have so many activities that something has to go from e.g. canoeing, dance, running Brownies, cadet corps, school work, part-time job!!

8. Cornet_player

Cornet_player Member

What a fantastic idea!! Ive often wondered why more bands dont do this but it is difficult with work committments etc.

I started playing before I became a teenager- I developed a love of my cornet (and brass bands in general) before 'I hit the difficult age' where I became interested in other things, but at the end of the day Ive always stayed dedicated to my bands- its was something that was reliable and as a result I was reliable to it. I was lucky, brass music was introduced to me early and brass lessons were available at my primary school- so many people dont have such oppertunities until they reach secondary school, and I think its too late by this stage as most people have too many other things going on.

9. MissBraz

MissBraz Member

I think more teenagers should be in brass bands because we are the future of the brass banding world... without new players coming through the brass banding world will just come to an end.
    The youth band that i play in have loads of 13/14 and 15 yr olds in, infact we also have alot of younger players than that.. that will turn into good little players!

10. Sopha

Sopha Active Member

Our Band Have Tried That Too But Like Always A Few Came Along Then After About Two Weeks Decided It Wasn't For Them Again!
    Well Yep Thats A Very Good Point! And A Really Serious Issue Where Brass Bandings Concerned Because If More and More People Leave And Youngsters Dont Join Then The Banding World Will End! So Weve Got To Really Try Our Hardest To Encouridege More Youngsters Like Myself To Play!

Can I Just Say Weldone Tara For Getting A Serious Issue Acros Lol! .. This Conversations One Thats Never Going To End!! :tup
    vbmenu_register("postmenu_482227", true);

11. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

We did a joint concert last year with a junior school band. It was the school that our conductor teaches at. It was done primarily to encourage them. It was really well attended by parents and other non-playing pupils. There was a bass player in the school band that played a solo - we were so impressed that we offered him a seat. He's doing brilliantly and although he doesn't play at contests yet - it won't be long before he is a fully fledged member of the band. So what I'm saying is these kind of collaborations can really work!!!

12. Kaskaey

Kaskaey Member

[​IMG] Yesterday, 20:03

Quote: (Originally Posted by Kaskaey)
    the problem around my band is that there are too many bands!

Too many bands, NEVER! Perhaps too many bands but not enough players?

hahar! that is a great theory! But there is alot! Within the brass section at school, we go to 4 brass bands between us, and thats all in catchment area! ooo the choice!!!

13. Cornet_player

Cornet_player Member

Quote: (Originally Posted by Kaskaey)
    hahar! that is a great theory! But there is alot! Within the brass section at school, we go to 4 brass bands between us, and thats all in catchment area! ooo the choice!!![/QUOTE]

In which case I think you are very lucky!!!

14. Sopha

Sopha Active Member

Well Said cornet_player she very very lucky! Many of us only go to one or two as banding in some area's isn't as popular or isn't as built up as others!
    Like in Lincoln for instants Its Just Not Fair! :(

15. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

I agree and all the bands in the country should be encouraged to at least start a learners class to try and get some interest going with the younger generation

16. Brassy Lady

Brassy Lady Member

Well, there are quite a few bands in and around Lincoln; usual scenario in that not enough players to go round! However, here it seems to be the quality and attitude of banding folk that is not what it is in other areas. Hope I'm not putting noses out of joint, but having played in other places I feel I can be justified in what I am saying. (Mind you, Lincoln folk probably won't see this as I have not come across many tmpers from Lincolnshire, another indication of the apparent lack of enthusiasm and elitism). :frown: :frown:

17. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member

You could showcase brass bands during summer playscheme!!

We had around 500 youngsters this year & loads of other groups took advantage of the opportunity to advertise themselves...but sadly no bands :(

I'm realistic and know that you'd never get a whole band there 'coz of work commitments etc, but surely a little quartet could be done?...take along a few older instruments for the kids to try etc
    (Any Gwent bands fancy giving this a go next year PM me ;))

18. Obi one Tromboni

Obi one Tromboni New Member

Over here on the IOM we have 8 full bands, which considering its size (just look on your map!) is quite a lot! We do also have 3 (over)full youth orchestras. The group of players i came through with in my band are pretty much all still there, and we all started about the same age. (i was 7, i'm now 21) so we've been playing together for 14 years! We did have a period recently where we really struggled for juniors, as the band was in the proccess of changing MD, but we've a good little group now. As for the social side ... they don't come more social than my band - it's what keeps us (in!)sane.

i do agree with the origional point - don't know where i'd be if i hadn't joined when i did!Only problem now is we've lost about half the band to uni cuz they're all similar ages they've all gone together!!! :eek: