Spot the brass player.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BrianT, Jan 12, 2007.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

When someone sings you a tune to show you how it goes, and the tune has semiquavers in it and they sing "ta-ka-ta-ka" for the semiquavers, you immediately think "brass player".

What other clues give away the fact that someone plays a particular instrument or type of instrument?

2. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

If someone knocks at your door, and the knocking gets faster, then you know it's a percussionist

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

3. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Cornet players are spotted by their inability to walk past a shop window without checking their reflections.

4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Bass trombonists are usually unable to pass a curry house!

5. tubagod

tubagod Member

Just look in the bar and there you will find them....

6. timbloke

timbloke Member

Men who apply lip balm.

Anyone struggling onto public transport/into a bar/into a curry house/into a working men's club etc. with a big hard case, a bag full of music stands, another full of mutes, and another with the five different uniform's they are expected to wear.

Speaking of which - anyone wearing clothes that look as though they were designed in the 1890s for someone who was two ft taller and five foot wider than the the person wearing it.

7. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Orrrr with these new fangled walking out jackets.... a crowd that you think are heading for a bus drivers convention!

8. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Those with their nose in the air...and a face that looks like it can perpetually smell poo......they'll be the string players then!

Sud

9. dikkezeug

dikkezeug New Member

Bassplayers are easy to recognise! Usually first at the bar and last to leave!

Wouter

10. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

When I played for Nottingham City Transport, our walking outs were bus drivers uniforms, literally. We were the only band whose coach matched our uniforms!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    ka-ta-ka
    particular instrument
    type of instrument
    semiquavers
    ka
  12. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

I was once part of a completely unscientific experiment on the 'musicians singing a tune' theory at (say it quietly) a wind band contest (quick I don't think they noticed...!).

We "proved" that lower brass sing 'pom-pom-pom'; upper brass sing 'ta-ta-ta'; saxophones sing 'do-be-do-be' (because they would all rather be in a jazz band); clarinets just hum; and flute players laugh like a little girl instead of singing (especially male ones).

Oh, and oboe players couldn't sing at all. At least not in tune.

I wouldn't hold this up as evidence on it's own, but it certainly seems to be supporting the general theory...

Dave

PS. I am no longer associated with the wind band. I have escaped relatively unscathed!

13. David Mann

David Mann Member

They're the ones in Prestatyn in October

14. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

...and at Skegness in January

15. Veri

Veri Member

Do wind bands contest as well - I thought it was a phenomenon unique to brass bands!

16. dawny

dawny Member

you will know when there is a bass player lurking outside your house because they wont know what key to use or where to come in

17. MaxPressure

MaxPressure Member

and after a while they will enter the wrong house

18. r055c

r055c New Member

alternativly, if you hear the knocking getting slower , then you know it's a bass player :wink:

19. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Oi, I resemble that remark!

The odd post contest morning I've FELT like I've passed a curry house...

20. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

You can usually spot the trombonists in the playground - can't swing and doesn't know how to use the slide.

One of the guys I work with (a trombonist) can't sing a tune without his arm going to each position:-?

21. davidsait

davidsait Member

They do, but it's nowhere near as serious an affair!

No national gradings, all open adjudication, no ranking of results, just gold, silver and bronze prizes given out to those who deserve it.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    ka-ta-ka
    particular instrument
    type of instrument
    semiquavers
    ka