Sponsorship for Top Level Banding

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by eanto, Sep 12, 2007.

1. eanto

eanto Member

Where would our top bands be without sponsorship? I'm thinking about the elite here - creme de la creme - they do seem to 'tag' themselves with sponsors. Take the Nationals, Albert Hall. Last few years winners.. Fodens COURTOIS, BAYV Cory, Williams Fairy (FP) MUSIC, Grimey (UK COAL), Black Dyke twice - more money to shake a stick at. It just makes me think that we're not quite that amateur at the top level?
  2. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

It's not because you're an "amateur" organisation that you don't need money for conductors, music, rehearsal room, travelling, instruments and accessories, uniforms, etc.

This money can come from public performances, local government or lottery grants, fundraising, and if you're lucky enough, sponsorship deals.

I don't think this is anything new though, it already happened in the 19th century with the very first bands...
  3. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

Most of those bands grew out of works bands of some kind or another. Grimethorpe haven't even changed supporter, really - it's just the supporter's name has changed. The names of Foden's, Williams Fairey & Black Dyke are all reminders of past manufacturing links. It may not have been sponsorship as we now think of it, but it amounts to pretty much the same thing.

As Jan has pointed out, banding (like any activity) costs money - and the more intensively you do it, the more money that needs. The "are we genuinely amateur" debate is entirely separate. We should be grateful that we have top bands who can attract investment from large companies, because in the end we all benefit.
  4. Well, actually, they can't (anymore) or at least struggle to do so, but that's another story...
  5. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

Not just the top bands - we have been sponsored since 2004.

I am sure it is nowhere near the amount of money most sponsored Championship section bands get but enough to cover some of our costs and be able to fund the running of a training band. We still consider ourselves an amateur band with none of our players being paid to play.

The sponsorship is tied to a local business who wanted to ensure that the band continued to play and represent our small village. The only consideration is that we perform at a couple of local charity events each year for business PR reasons. Without the sponsorship we - like some of the best known bands - would struggle to operate.
  6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I suppose, if you consider what you get out of your hobby, it's amazing that bands manage at all.

Here's an example; turn up at an exclusive golf club and ask to be a member. Insist that you only want to pay a nominal subscription, that they give you a free set of clubs, unlimited golf balls, tees, umbrella etc. Ask for free tuition from the resident pro, ask for two different sets of clothing, one for casual playing, one for formal occasions. Grumble when it's time to buy a drink in the clubhouse.

I can promise that your golf membership wouldn't last long.

My point is this; all organisations need money to survive, be it from the members themselves in the form of subscription, or from an outside source in the form of sponsorship. If a band gets very good and has a high profile from winning competitions, or putting on big concerts with big name soloists, then it becomes an attractive proposition for sponsors. In much the same way, if you get really good at golf and win lots of tournaments, all the big manufacturers want to sponsor you and you don't have to pay your subscription at the golf club. And you probably don't have to buy a round of drinks anymore, either!

Banding is, for the most who do it, an enjoyable hobby, but every organisation requires money to keep it going. I suppose, if you think about it, the people who put money into the collecting box when you are playing Christmas carols are, in essence, sponsoring the band.
  7. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Forgetting someone there aren't you? :rolleyes:
  8. eanto

eanto Member

Apparently (I wasn't there:( ), Leyland did a superb job with Eden but they did 'borrow' a trom who got top soloist prize and 'borrow' a horn who played a blinder in the 'Lament?' section.

All bands need a certain amount of money to exist but I was thinking more in the line of the VERY best players signing for bands with current sponsorship. There tends to be a bit of player movement, for one reason or another, when the sponsorship is withdrawn.....:rolleyes:
  9. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Surely the problem is not that the top bands are too professional, but that there are not enough bands of that level. Don't people want the real cream of players to stay in banding? Surely we want our top bands to have the very best brass players there are, not for them all to go to orchestras; and want our top bands to produce professional top quality CD's. Surely every musical type would want a professional topend to showcase it?
  10. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

With the exception of B&R, I'm struggling to think of any consistently successful top flight band (by which I mean regularly in the frame at National, Open or European) of the last 100 years that didn't start as a works or colliery band, thereby effectively "sponsored". Fodens in particular made sure that the best players got cushy jobs in the factory up until Fred Mortimer's great band was broken up by WW2. These days I'm pretty sure that there are only a few top, top players who actually make any sort of decent money out of playing in a band, so arguably banding is more "amateur" now than ever.

Absolutely; I'm struggling to think of any other hobby where so much expensive equipment and tuition is provided for next to nothing. Is it any surprise that to survive consistently at the top level bands need financial help? Think how many top section test-pieces recently have required acres of percussion gear, then go and have a look how much it costs. And that's assuming the band already has a full set of working brass instruments.
  11. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

Top section in yorkshire - nearly every band has a backer
  12. eanto

eanto Member

A while back I seem to remember the Stockbridge Band teaming up with ASDA as their sponsors. From memory (I aint done any research!) they were a force to be reckoned with at contests even with the really big boys. Now ASDA seems to have gone and presumably the money that went along with it, they dont seem to be the potent force they were. Just using Stockbridge as an example, nothing personal!
  13. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

That is basically true, but it doesn't prove anything because they might have suffered the loss of form anyway.

In any case, does it really matter if some bands are paying their players? How does it actually make any difference to the rest of us?
  14. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

Dont think so !!!!!