Splitting Up

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by musicmaker, Jul 25, 2006.

1. musicmaker

musicmaker Member

I have email john with a suggestion of splitting the recruitment corner into two sections.

1. Being bands after players
    2. Being musical directors

I feel this would be better for posting ads and also for people looking for places, as there is more players post listed than MD’s.

John has asked me to post here to get some feed back as it’s our site and he just runs it!!!!! (So to speak).
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I think it could be a good idea to split it, especially as people don't always make it clear in the thread heading exactly what they're looking for.
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

What about regional and section splits?

If you are a Championship player you might not be that interested in a seat at Barnstonworth Silver Colliery Prize Band but prefer to scan through the sections you were interested in.

Also most people would prefer not to travel substantial distances to find a band and a regional sort would make that easier.
  4. Di

Di Active Member

I'd thought about that. I think you could ask for either/or, trying to do both may get a little messy.
  5. agentorange

agentorange Member

For me, regional splits makes the most sense. This is how I search when on the 'other' band website.
  6. musicmaker

musicmaker Member

There has been over 100 peeps look at this thread and only a handful put down what they think.

7. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Like tubafran already suggested, maybe something like on the 4br vacancies page? Section and Region options? With a little drop down box thingy :rolleyes: ? (<--high tech computer talk!)
  8. McEuphie

McEuphie Member

I would agree that a split between players and MDs with players (bands) by region - not sure if you need to split MDs - MDs may be more willing to go "out of zone" for a "better" band.

9. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

That would be a good idea, I think. Just like we did with the dep forum.
    IMO there's no need to further split it up. As long as people use clear thread titles (including section, area)...
  10. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

If you insist....

I have no feelings one way or the other.

11. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

12. Di

Di Active Member

13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I am in Favour of this great idea :clap: ;)
  14. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

If people would just put region and section in the title (like they are supposed to by the recruitment rules) there wouldn't be any problems now would there?

Perhaps there should be accepted abreviations to put at the begining of the title to make more room in the titles for other of the crazy things people like to put.

e.g., WoE,LSC,Mid,Sct,Wal,MW,Yrk,NoE,US,NZ,Aus,etc..
    and Ch,1,2,3,4,5
  15. timbloke

timbloke Member

The problem with regional splits is for those of us on the edge of a region who would consider more than one region. The only way it could really work is to have a poscode entry and "within the following distance" selection.

But I think that is a waste of effort. In the last month there have been 77 posts on the Recruitment thread. So even if you only check once a month it is only 4 pages to scan through.

I think more important than spliting up the forum is enforcing the thread headers more strictly so it is easy to see the location and instrument (and section). It was a good idea put forward in january last year.... 18 months on it is still not used by everyone. Is there a way of blocking threads from appearing unless they have the defined format in the thread title?

I'd agree on the MD being separate as it will be attracting different people.

Good suggestion from Pat about the use of abbreviations.
  16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I don't think using just the existing regions is anything like specific enough, paticular if you look at somhere like the West of England, that covers a very wide geographical spread.
  17. Jan H

How about doing it like this:
    Make four subcategories for the "recruitment corner":
    - players looking for a band
    - bands looking for players
    - conductors looking for a band
    - bands looking for a conductor

-> it should no longer be possible to make posts in the "main" catgeory, only in the 4 subcategories
    -> the posting rules should be enforced better (e.g. including sections / area in the thred title). This could be done by making the forums moderated (like user-submitted news: new threads need to be approved by a mod before they appear)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  18. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

How about by county?
  19. Di

Di Active Member

Not too sure about that one. The players and MD's looking for bands areas would be a bit thin. I would think a split as to band sections (ranking not players) would be helpful, and a suggested standard layout for the heading.

Also, would it be beneficial to have a separate category, may be a sub-cat to rehearsal room for all matters MD related?
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  20. Jan H

I don't think so, the number of categories and subcategories on tMP is already getting very big, IMO.

p.s. the quote above is not from me, but from someone else...