Split reaction

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Kerwintootle, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

How do you react when you fluff something? I of course never split any notes. Well, ok I do but I sit there poker faced and pretend it wasn't me, which is not easy to do when you're the soprano player. :lol: :wink:

Some people cause a huge drama, making their instrument fly off their faces and I've even seen people look down the bell of the instrument. Goodness knows what they're looking for? A split note leak from the previous occupant?!!! Other come out with a filthy tirade of swear words. Usually these potty mouths are demure wall flowers but watch out when they split stuff. Take cover.

Does you reaction change from rehearsal room to contest stage?

Not a very relevant topic but I'm bored. :wink:
  2. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I normally swear during a practice but on the stage, i make no reaction as i think it's unprofessional.
    One of my pet hates is when someone makes a mistake and the person next to them turns towards them (usually with instrument next to mouth making it even more noticable).
  3. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I have been doing a little bit of conducting recently with a local non-contesting band. The 2nd Baritone player came and asked me if I knew how much a new instrument would cost as the one he had kept splitting notes! Absolutely true.

So if anybody knows where these non-splitting instruments come from I have an order and a lottery grant waiting!

When I split a note I just look at the Eb basses!
  4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I usually 'mime' obscenities without aurally 'vocalising' them, but sometimes I let it get to me too much or thinking about it too much instead of letting it go and concentrating on the next bit. Only in rehearsals, though!

Does remind me of an ex member of Fulham Band (before my time). He was the principal cornet and they were playing at a local contest. Big cornet solo; fluffed it. Apparently there were some very audible obscenities being spouted by said principal cornet the moment his solo finished. I don't know whether the adjudicator referred to it in his notes!
  5. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I've been told that when i split a note or play something wrong i raise my eyebrows! :?

And then i'm with Dave, normally mime a few verbal obscenities. :D

6. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

what a bunch of dirty mouthed-individuals ;)

if I split something, it's the composer's fault. He should have written it right in the first place..
  7. HBB

HBB Active Member

If I don't split anything it's a miracle, damn harmonics ...
  8. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

I blame it on Bones!! :twisted: :p
  9. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

When I split I laugh. Then I get a hacky look of our conductor for laughing in the rehearsal. Problem solved. 2nd bari doesn't usually have that much "split material" though. Thankfully! :D
  10. skweeky

skweeky Member

when i split a note or cant play summet i give a quiet "grrrrr" sound :lol: or even mutter a few swear words. therefore i do a LOT of swearing at band :p
  11. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:
  12. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I just think damn, and just carry on, no point in worrying about a note that's just gone by. It's much more important to carry on going!
    However if it's whilst practicing, i'd obviously think differently!
  13. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

Old lesson that I learned from others.................if you split a note, tut then point to person next to you while shaking head if the conductor looks in your direction.

:twisted: :lol: :arrow:
  14. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Our conductor tells us (when someone's messed up and added foul vocals) that there was once an adjudication sheet that said something like
    "Unlucky soloist. Pity about the vocals".. If we swear we just know the little speech will pop out from somewhere....... :lol:
  15. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

Something goes on with my eybrows aswell - not quite worked out what though lol - but as lauradoll said - not much to split on 2nd bari :roll:
  16. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

When I played Lead Trumpet in the Big Band, the notes didn't matter, it was the way we played them. If we split notes but gave it everything we've got (within reason!) he didn't mind!

This is more of a jazz approach, but must admit makes a lot of sense. I just play and think about the note I'm producing and play it within the style of the context of the piece in question.
  17. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Personally, I've never split a note playing the side drum but I have hit the wrong timp sometimes and that can completely throw you out if it's a bit of a complex passage. Generally I just swear to myself inaudibly.

On the other side of the fence I once knew a player who was so vocal and animated when he split or got something wrong the rehearsal had to stop 'cos he was so disruptive. Maybe it was his way of saying he wanted another go at it??!?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  18. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Apparantly I curse a lot, according to the rest of the backrow, in practise.

Never curse on stage (as far as I know) but raise my eyebrows. In a contest - should never tut, curse anyone or give them the evil eye, be supportive....you live and die as a band
  19. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I have to confess to being one of those bad workmen that blames the tools and looks at the instrument, but only in rehearsals. At gigs I might make a face but I try very hard to keep going...

20. frisp

frisp Member

I can't speak for myself-but on the rare occasions a note gets split in our Bass section everyone looks at me :?