Split lip!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Matt the Baritone, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Hi all, I recently spilt my lip and have recently taken about a week off. But whenever I do even a little bit of practice, it goes again. Does anyone have any tips so I can get myself up to scratch again as soon as possible? Thanks :)

2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

ice, arnica cream, and time!

3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

...of which time is by far the most important factor.

Give it a break and it'll recover.

4. pbirch

pbirch Member

when your mum tells you to stop playing, you should stop playing :)

5. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

as said before you need to stop playing for it to recover. I used to get same problem after playing carols in cold weather. more playing just agravated it. once it has gone away start again with gentle playing exersize to build back up to normal.
    If you keep playing you will just keep agravating the split and it will take longer to heal up.

6. agentorange

agentorange Member

I regularly get split lips, often in the week leading up to a contest - must be because the chops get a real hammering with the extra rehearsals. Obviously, time off in these circumstances is not an option, i have to play through it. All i do is try to make sure that my lips don't dry out by using lots of lypsil or vaselene applied regularly through the day and especially when you go to bed at night.

I've never tried arnica cream but have had it recommended a number of times so this might be worth a try too.

7. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

I got hit in the face with a badminton racket a few days before last years area so ended up using badger (awsome for split lips use it everytime it splits) and oraldene and I took it easy for a few days. Was told to give it lots of salt also and I think cheese :s LOL! I was on form for the area though! I also went to play in Salzburg with school in october and was practicing a duet with a girl on trumpet and a horn player needed to get past so went under my bell and came up too fast! I ended up useong badger and taking rehearsals easy then too and played 2nd trumpet (usually play 1st) but for the concert a few days after I was on pretty good form again! So Ive now learnt to avoid pe before contests and be careful of little horn players! Oh and that badger rules ;)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  8. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I got hit in the mouth the night before the finals! Got through the day on arnica, ice and an interesting selection of drugs (!), then didn't play for several days and took it easy for a couple of weeks afterwards so things had time to heal.
    I really do swear by the arnica cream for bumps and bruises, and know a lot of people who routinely use it after a hard blow to reduce swelling and after-effects.

What's Badger?!

9. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Badger is just lip balm or somthing like that I think. It's flavoured too, just cant remember what flavour at the moment and can't check because I'm at school at don't have any on me! Some kind of fruit I think. Arnica's an ingredient of it I think :S may be wrong but I have a feeling it is.

10. sop 1

sop 1 Member

Chopsaver is really good too.
    Its got arnica in it as well.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    little bit of practice
    Split lip
    Does
    tips
    week