Spit on the carpet

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Beesa, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Beesa

Beesa Member

Especially prior to contests we often go round people's houses for sectional rehearsals or lessons.

The problem I have is emptying the instrument of water. I feel uncomfortable doing this on someone's living room carpet, especially if I've just come in from the cold outside and there is loads of condensation.

Which brings me to another point. I insist it is pure, pure condensated water and not "spit". Although I don't think I would drink it . . .

Anyway, what is the best thing to do - just blow it out and hope it dries without staining, or bring a bucket thing, or perhaps a beer towel?

What do you do? Any suggestions?
  2. I once had lessons and the teacher used to spread out a towel.
  3. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I had lessons from a trumpet playing country and western fan. We used to Lay the blanket on the ground.

Worked for us!
  4. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

I use a small tuper-ware type thing with a towel underneath
  5. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Surely there is the odd occassion when a hock-a-loogy makes its way down the leadpipe. I know I have done it plenty of times.

6. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

I have a booklet published by Conn Corporation in 1942 entitled "How to Care For Your Instrument".

There is a paragraph headed:

Foreign Matter Impairs Acoustical Performance.

To quote the first couple of sentences:

"A surprising amount of food, candy and other stuff accumulates in a wind instrument if it is not systematically cleaned out. It is often referred to bt professional musicians as "hamburger" or "lungs", but whatever you call it, it is filth that you should get rid of and keep rid of"

So there you have it - yuck! I'll see if there are any bits worth relaying, but that bit has stuck in my mind.
  7. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Yeah, my mate (Who is on this forum) is an instrument technician, he can tell you some horror stories (One of them includes my old horn from a few years ago! HAHAHA)
  8. Beesa

Beesa Member

We cleaned up a BBb one day and washed it out. One of the things that fell out looked like.....well, an old turd.

Curiosity got the better of us and we had to carry out an autopsy on the object.

Turned out to be a sausage roll that had almost certainly been chucked in during the march at the previous year's Summer Carnival!
  9. hicks

hicks Member

eww! rancid decomposed sausage roll. I doubt there's anything that nasty in my trombone, but reading this thread has made me decide to give it a bath this weekend.
  10. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I would just put an old towel down to protect the carpet

12. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

At least they'll hear a quality sectional with some real sound coming from it, lol :biggrin:
  13. Pedal That!

Pedal That! New Member

Reminds me of an incident in a previous band .....

Conductor can't quite get regular bass section in tune .... one bass no matter what slide was pulled / pushed just would not come good. Regular bass player goes on holiday and Dep comes down for rehearsal - same problem. Dep gives bass a shake and turn it upside down and .........

a mould encrusted bass strap falls from the bell :eek:

never had a problem with tuning after that!
  14. At least a percussion sectional wouldn't have the 'spit/water' problem in a house- just space problems.
  15. Bunnymonster

Bunnymonster Member

We use a really thick towel/bath mat - the sort you knick from hotels! :eek:
  16. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Must be my age telling against me; but well done! Nice and subtle.
    Bet you feel unappreciated ;)

17. Mephi

Mephi Member

If people have a nice 'markable' carpet they must be doolally letting banders into their house full stop. Guaranteed stains! Seriously though, the odd spot of valve oil could be more damaging, especially the slightly older stuff from the bottom caps. I know how much damage the seepage from my triggers has caused to some of my lighter coloured jeans/combats and my instrument is pretty clean! Suppose a towel/bar towel would do,or even a spare piece of carpet!! Hehe!

PS Just had visions of a band member's house looking like the one in the ET film, with plastic sheets everywhere!
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

When we were out of our hall during the rebuilding we used the local Methodist Church on Sunday nights. One of their main concerns was for their polished woodblock floor, and so we provided strips of carpet for the band, but most of us used either a small towel or an absorbent duster in addition.
  19. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Just a cloth ought to do it!

though when I was doing the 'solo contest curcuit', I used to go to various pianists' houses and one of them would spread a newspaper on the floor!
  20. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Thanks for starting this thread, Beesa. Ever since I started playing, my wife has insisted I use a small towel wherever I have been playing - including concert venues. I have told her the liquid is only condensation, but she considers the habit of just dropping it on the floor to be disgusting.

I must confess that, after a concert in a church with a tiled floor, for example, it doesn't give a very good impression if the band walks away leaving pools of liquid behind. The ubiquitous "Someone" has to clean it up, and it's usually my wife and one of the other wives.

She has been trying to encourage the rest of the band to use towels and to clean up their own "mess" and the comments on here just might help. :clap: