Spit 'n' Polish

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Thirteen Ball, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I've always had silver instruments before, which I've just cleaned witha bit of goddards or silvo or something similar, then polished off. Now I'm on a laquered instrument (Nice shiny goldy thing) and I'm not sure what polish to use.

Brasso and stuff is all mildly abrasive so that's a BIG no-no for a start. (I might be a bass player but even I'm not that thick!) Anyone any top tips?

Ps. Too many jokes about having a nice shiny bell, get em out of the way now!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    instruments
    bit
    goddards
    something
    no-no
  3. impycornet

impycornet Member

You should buff it vigorously !!

Seriously ... Stay away from the polishes - I would suggest washing it to keep it clean but then re-read your post & discovered we are talking about a Bass :) Mind you - you could always take it in the shower with you ;-)

Didn't it come with a yellow polishing cloth ? If not - just wait till you spot a band with new-ish yamaha cornets & nick some of theirs !

4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Really? It's that easy? Crikey.

No cloth with it, but then, it's not my instrument. It's the band's and I don't think it's had a bath in about a year Certainly not since the area! Just needs a little TLC. (And £20 on springs and guides. Ouch!)

Used to take me about three hours to shine a silver bass up, I just did this lacquered one in 20 minutes! Brilliant.

One of my mates just bought a new yamaha. Thievery is a bit low, but my need is greater than his.... (Just kiddin.)

5. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

and theres me thinking this was going to be a thread on shining shoes!:oops:

6. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Nah - on a brass band site it's more likely to be about shining foreheads than shoes... :evil:

7. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Get a laquer cloth, you can get them from most good musical instrument retailers.

8. Despot

Despot Member

Soap and water, rarely use anything else!

Thing about polishing cloths is that over time particules of dust etc will get on to them and you'll end up grinding them into the finish. It'll look bright and shiney ok, but it'll loose that "mirror finish".

Chuck it in the bath every so often! :)

9. jpbray

jpbray Member

Talking of spit; has anyone any tips for removing the residue left by the water on the bigger instruments i.e. basses, or is it as remarked earlier, just "chuck" it in the bath.

10. Despot

Despot Member

Chuck it in the bath first! Sometimes on the metal directly under the valves residue builds up. It won't if its cleaned regularly, but if washing up liquid won't do it, then polish should get it off! Wouldn't normally use polish otherwise!

11. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

But be careful of the water temperature, particularly if the instrument has scratches or bare spots in the lacquer. Household hot water (around 50C/120F in the US) is hot enough to strip some kinds of lacquer, particularly on older instruments. You can also crack the lacquer if you go from hot water to cold water too quickly, because of the expansion and contraction of the metal.

Waterspots after the bath can be avoided by using a chamois cloth to dry off the instrument. These are the same kind of cloths used to dry chrome on automobiles, they are less abrasive than your average bath towel.

Also, be careful with valves when immersing an instrument. Some manufacturers (notably Yamaha) specifically warn about immersing valves in hot water, because there are plastic pieces in the assembly that will have different expansion/contraction properties than the metal pieces. I always remove the valves and clean them separately when giving an instrument a bath.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    instruments
    bit
    goddards
    something
    no-no
  13. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

alright andi lad!

the husband says to get some wax based furniture polish and a none-abrasive cloth to clean ye olde laquered bass

u dont wanna use spit cos it is slightly acidic and of course is corrosive-not good for metal!

anyhoo, il see you at band tonight with the hub!