Spinoffs more popular than the original?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DublinBass, Oct 8, 2004.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

It's not very often a sequel or spinoff is better than the original. With the "An aside to the 'tea break' thread....... " now at almost double the posts of the original thread, it got me thinking what spinoffs or sequels are better than the first.

I liked Superman II much better than the first when I was a kid (although now I like the first more)

I enjoyed Frasier just as much as Cheers (don't know that I'd say more though)

I also liked the Jefferson's better than All in the Family.

Any others You can think of?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Superman II
    Jefferson
    original thread
    Spinoffs
    tea break
  3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Sometimes the spinoff is much more famous than the original. The classic American TV example is the Andy Griffith Show, which was a spinoff from the Danny Thomas Show.

4. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

We have Casualty and then Holby City ( it is still on?) - not sure if it was really successful.

5. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Not sure on spinoffs, but in terms of film sequels, Terminator 2 was miles ahead of the original.

6. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

Holby City is loads better than Casualty!!! :oops:

7. HBB

HBB Active Member

Still too much bloood for me...

8. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Its a lot easier to think of spin-offs that were rubbish compared to the originals!
    But...

Next Generation/DS9/Voyager were all better than Star Trek
    Frasier was better than Cheers (maybe?!)

And the million dollar question at the moment has to be how will "Joey" compare to Friends?

9. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

anything is better than Star Trek!!!

i'll like it cause i think Matt leBlanc is hot!

10. jonford

jonford Member

There is also the spin off of Max and Paddy from Pheonix Nights coming soon, although it will be very hard to beat Pheonix Nights im sure it will be good!

11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think Joey will be better than Friends, because except for Joey, friends wasn't that funny. Recall the tMP poll http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2565&highlight=friends and you'll remember Joey is the Favourite Friend.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Superman II
    Jefferson
    original thread
    Spinoffs
    tea break
  13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Toy Story 2 was better than Toy Story - which was some achievement!!! But there aren't too many others which spring to mind. T2 possibly, but I think the original Terminator had a better plot and a much less corny ending, having said that T2 is still a pretty awesome film. How about Return of the Jedi being better than Star Wars?

14. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Yes, but the dilemma is that Next Generation, DS9 and Voyager would not have existed without the original Star Trek. It is the same as the "Variations on a theme of Haydn" by Johanne Brahms.

15. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

and useless fact here...was filmed just down the east lancs road from my house in Haydock!

16. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

What?? no way! Casulalty all the way for me.... just about the only programme I watch on telly! :D

17. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Angel was rubbish compared to buffy. who wouldnt like sarah michele doing karate in tight tops an.....
    Sorry going off trck there