Spiderman 2

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Brian Kelly, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I went to see Spiderman 2 last night (no band practice). Great film! At least as good as the first film, if not better. Great special effects are a given these days, but there are some great action sequencies, scenes where the actors really are acting and displaying emotions (not always the case in big budget action blockbusters, alas), a plot that made sense (even if some of the science seemd a bit dodgy) and lots of nice touches (eg the busker singing the "Spiderman" song from the 1960's cartoon series).

I also liked the cheeky way in which the film's makers (maybe Sam Raine himself?) stole a plot device from Shakespeare to set up Spiderman 3 (I won't write any more, I don't want to spoil it for people who haven't seen it yet). If you're going to steal ideas from another writer, you may as well go for the best, and his plays are out of copyright!

The only slight disappointment was Danny Elfman's score, which was too much like his score for Batman (then again, so was his score for Spiderman 1). However, there was some great bass trombone playing on the soundtrack, and you can never have too much great bass trombone playing!
  2. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Sadly, I found myself distracted from the music and the plot by the rather intense romance scenes. I really don't remember the comics being quite so obsessed with his love life.

Not that I'm remotely jealous, you understand :roll:
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I also enjoyed it very much. Incredible action and special effects. I did however think some of the flashbacks to the first movie were a bit cheesy and unnecessary (perhaps some people will see the second having not seen the first)

I used to get the comic book when I was little, so I thought the third movie was really set up by the first as the sure-to-be-villian in the third graced the pages of the comic book decades? ago.
  4. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

am i the only one that doesnt like it?!?!?!,

i wanted to go to sleep in the middle of it. whats wrong with the comics!!!

The story was long winded, very well planned yet it just went on and on and on .....
  5. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Yes, it does begin with the first film, but I was thinking of how specifically you-know-who is confronted with his destiny at the end of Spiderman 2. Hopefully without giving too much away, here's a clue: Elsinore.

Or maybe Stan Lee did it first in the comic book?
  6. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

I thought it was real good, the ending left it open for a spiderman 3 to be produced which may be slightly predictable but then they might surprise us. Can't wait just like I can't wait for Shrek 3 and 4!
  7. jonford

jonford Member

I really enjoyed it, a bit anoying at the end that it was setting it up for the next one! Apparantly Toby Maguire is only going to do one more, spiderman 3. But they are planning on making 5 or 6 which by then It may be boring!? depending on who they get to play spiderman I suppose!
  8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Stan Lee's Comic Books of the sixties were way ahead of their time. (BOC alert! BOC alert! BOC alert!)

He managed to make his characters believable because they lived in New York, and walked down streets that people recognised from the names and the pictures drawn by Kack Kirby and others.

In addition the bad guys didn’t always get caught; the good guys weren't all squeaky clean, they fell in love and argued with friends - none of which was happening to the characters of the time at the Distinguished Competition.

All the things that happened in the movie happened in some format or other in the comic books, but the "I don't want to be Spidey" scene didn't happen until issue 44. The film has taken some of the best bits of plot from many issues of the comic book, and collapsed them, but it seems to work.

For anyone who knows the series, they'll know that Mary Jane wasn’t Spidey's first girlfriend, and for several issues had her face hidden from view. Aunt May was keen to introduce Peter to MJ, with comments like "She's got a lovely personality" and "She's VERY popular" leading Peter to think she was ugly. The great pay off was when the gorgeous MJ was seen for the first time with the memorable line "Face it, Tiger, you just hit the jackpot!"

Aah, happy days...
  9. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

I saw it and it's a quality film. Well, there's things wrong with it, but as I did Media Studies A Level you kind of get used to having to pick up on things like that! :oops:

I liked the music! *BOC alert* Especially his treatment of the Bridal Chorus during the wedding scene.
  10. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I liked it ... certainly better than the first one. The only thing is, it's blatantly obvious that the Hobgoblin will be the next villain ... which could lead to a sense of deja-vu ...

I want Venom damnit ... he was the best. :)
  11. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

i did fall asleep on the band bus coming home from paris while it was on.
  12. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

i fell asleep through both playings of shrek2, but i think i managed to watch it all in 2 bits
  13. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Haven't seen the first, so wont see the second.... I'm afriad I'm not really into the Spiderman "thing".... whatever that may be :roll: :lol: but I can tell you I hate spiders!
  14. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Saw it, loved it, nuff said!

The lift scene had me in hysterics!
  15. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Loved it - brings back memories of my Spidey pyjamas and red wellies.... :oops:

Thought the film was superb, there were a few unneccessary moments but on the whole I enjoyed it. The scene where Spiderman and Doctor Octopus had a scrap whilst tumbling down the side of a building was unreal, I also like the way they developed characters. They did not do that in the first one and guess that will be necessary if they are to make another 3 or 4.
  16. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Twas good. Liked it lots.
  17. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

:shock: Conjured up some lovely imagery there, John, ta! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I haven't seen it yet - was due to go a week or so ago but I wasn't well so will have to go another time.