Spelling

Discussion in 'Thread Games & Totally Random...' started by ploughboy, Apr 30, 2009.

1. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

http://www.timesspellingbee.co.uk/

how good are you?

Our year 7 kids have been doing this at school in preperation for the championships. Then I had a go and some of the words are tough to spell!! or i'm useless one or the other. . what's your best score?

2. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

152 so far!

3. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It would be better if they took out words with several acceptable spellings - eyrie/eerie and troop/troupe were marked wrong when there was no real justification for it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  5. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I struggled with hearing what the hell the word was and couldn't understand the accent...e.g. they said what I presume was 'kernel' on reflection....I originally thought he said 'colonel'....so got it totally wrong lol!

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Exactly! They should take out words where the spoken version doesn't clearly indicate one spelling.

I got really confused over their pronunciation of 'piquant' too - suffice to say that it sounded very rude...

7. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I can't think of a pronounciation of piquant that sounds rude....please explain lol! (is obviously too innocent to understand lol!)

8. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I got "anchor" wrong - I thought they said "banker". Good job it iwasn't "w****r"

Then I got numb wrong as it sounded like none although at first I thought it was nun! Poor clarity there.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  9. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

^^ Did you get the explanatory PM? :oops:

^ I agree... there was poor clarity.

10. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Yes lol! Had two explanatory pms actually....I AM an innocent! lmao!

11. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

lol!

I too am innocent... it took me about twenty combinations of letter sounds to work it out.
    lol!

12. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I just couldn't see/hear it! lmao!

13. six pints

six pints Active Member