Spelling

Discussion in 'Thread Games & Totally Random...' started by ploughboy, Apr 30, 2009.

1. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

http://www.timesspellingbee.co.uk/

how good are you?

Our year 7 kids have been doing this at school in preperation for the championships. Then I had a go and some of the words are tough to spell!! or i'm useless one or the other. . what's your best score?

2. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

152 so far!

3. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It would be better if they took out words with several acceptable spellings - eyrie/eerie and troop/troupe were marked wrong when there was no real justification for it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  5. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I struggled with hearing what the hell the word was and couldn't understand the accent...e.g. they said what I presume was 'kernel' on reflection....I originally thought he said 'colonel'....so got it totally wrong lol!

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Exactly! They should take out words where the spoken version doesn't clearly indicate one spelling.

I got really confused over their pronunciation of 'piquant' too - suffice to say that it sounded very rude...

7. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I can't think of a pronounciation of piquant that sounds rude....please explain lol! (is obviously too innocent to understand lol!)

8. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I got "anchor" wrong - I thought they said "banker". Good job it iwasn't "w****r"

Then I got numb wrong as it sounded like none although at first I thought it was nun! Poor clarity there.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  9. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

^^ Did you get the explanatory PM? :oops:

^ I agree... there was poor clarity.

10. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Yes lol! Had two explanatory pms actually....I AM an innocent! lmao!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    some
    score
    go
    other
    Spelling
  12. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

lol!

I too am innocent... it took me about twenty combinations of letter sounds to work it out.
    lol!

13. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I just couldn't see/hear it! lmao!

14. six pints

six pints Active Member