Specific bass solos

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Bassintheballroom, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Bassintheballroom

Bassintheballroom New Member

Morning all

Our new band thing is that everyone has to have a solo to play through in rehearsal - a raising confidence type of plan. I've had a look at the library listing and have the following bass solos to choose from:

Bombastic Bombardon
    Bass in the Ballroom
    Cheerful Chuba
    Dumbo's Dance
    Forty Fathoms
    The Sun has got his Hat on
    Tuba Tapestry
    Tuba Smarties
    Teddy Bear's Picnic

I only know a couple of these, and have only really played the sun has got his hat on, which was great but it would be daft to do the same piece again (unless, perhaps, I'm picked to play next week ;) ).

So, does anyone have any advice on these? I haven't seen any of the music, but am a reasonable player (hey, I managed the lead Eb bass part in Images...) in a second section band.

Ta a lot.
  2. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

From that list I would have chosen B-i-t-Ballroom (Balls-up in the Bassment as my mum used to call it..... :( ), or possibly Sun-HGHHO or Teddy's Picnic.

Bass in the Ballroom is lots of fairly straightforward runs, but with plenty of chance to shape phrases, show off your sound and have some fun.

Tuba smarties is good for a laugh as an encore or VERY-light-entertainments piece - often goes down very well with audiences of all ages - I played it once at the end of our highschool Eisteddfod and had hordes of bored third years clapping, stamping feet, even dancing - but very very little of interest in it for the soloist.

On the whole though, my advice would have to be to get out and practice ALL the solo parts for these pieces and then make your own mind up !
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  3. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Hi there,

Is this the definative list you HAVE to choose from or if you find something else are you able to get it to play?

If the purpose of the excercise is soley for confidence building within rehersal time, then it may not matter which you play. However, if the purpose of rehearsing it is to then perform it in a concert etc, then i guess you need to have a look and see which you enjoy the most and feel most comfortable with.

If it helps, there was quite a good thread about bass solos recently that i saw that may give you some other ideas(i guess there have been many in the past?!?) I don't know if one of the Mods, or anyone else can point us in the direction of it?? (i'm a bit new to thise tmp thing and not sure how).

Why not have a crack at your name sake if you haven't already tried it? I know some might think it's old hat, but Mr Sykes still does it, and it has some good qualities in it that can test you - especially if it's your first solo with the band.

Best of luck.
  4. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I think you you should do Forty Fathoms I haven't heard any one do that for years

Alternatively if you have the music in the library then blaydon races we used to have a Bb Bass player do it just get someone to transpose it into Eb
  5. barrytone

barrytone Member

Tuba Tapestry is very hard, it was written for George Morgan, long time principal Eb bass at Black Dyke as he complained that all bass solo's were too easy! My sister, one of George's ex-pupils, intends playing it with our band as a tribute to George, who sadly passed away last year.

She "cut her teeth" on bass solo's that were not necessarily written for the bass. Silver Threads Amongst the Gold, an oldie but a goodie, was one of her first. She did Bass in the Ballroom for a long time as this was one of the solos George showcased with Dyke.

Think about looking at a general solo for Eb instrument, not necessarily bass. Ones for horn are sometimes more technical and therefore push the abilities of the bass player to the limit. Should help improve all aspects of your playing.
  6. chizzum

chizzum Member

All bass solo's are quite limiting unless you choose a concerto like the edward gregson. Horn or soprano solo's are your best option. Variations on a Welsh Theme is a good piece and also The Ash Grove.
    But from your list if your doin a solo unaccompanied then choose bass in the ballroom, if acc... then choose Teddy Bears Picnic
  7. 1alexm

1alexm Member

i have only heard the bombastic bombardon, our junior band plays it, i think its ace, it has a catchy tune.

i thought solitaire was a solo for the cornet, or is it for bass too?
  8. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

If you do bass in the ballroom, watch out for the ubiquitous "B-Flat-on-open-in-stead-of-top-C" in the waltz tempo bit! (although to be honest it's hilarious if you get the B-flat by mistake!!!!)

I used to play forty fathoms back in juniors. Dead simple to play, and usually pretty popular amongst audiences too. Good chance of a pedal G in the first variation as well. Ah, them were the days..... ;)
  9. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

Bass solos

There are 3 that I've done if you're interested. "Caprice" is a nippy original, with a few time changes and quite technical. I've just had one recorded by Gavin Saynor and BAYV called "Tuba Muckl", which is based on an Alpine song and is kind of jolly and corny, although no more than others of the type, and if you're looking for something a bit different and less taxing, I've done "Danny Boy" for either E flat or BB flat. It seems to be OK! All are published by Obrasso.
  10. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Nellie the Elephant

We played a good arrangement of Nellie The Elephant last year - EEb solo
  11. why not try Cappriccio-Rodney Newton, great piece, some lovely moments!
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  12. jenzi

jenzi Member

Yeah, agreed! I'm going to play Capriccio in my final recital at uni. It's a brilliant piece!
  13. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

If there's any chance of performing it in public, I'd go for Bass in the Ballroom - the waltz is basically a set of (easy) scale runs, but if you get it up to a quick 1 in the bar, the great unwashed will think you're brilliant! (I was once bought a pint on the strength of my 'virtuoso' playing - by a piper!)

Sky's Tuba Smarties was a good laugh - Noddy outfit, Xmas lights, and a drummer on trumpet... The brass band version, however, is a bit naff - boring, even.

(Haven't played the rest of 'em, bass or otherwise, so can't really say...)
  14. Ste69

Ste69 Member

I'm not in the hot seat at the mo so I just get the oom-pahs but Sun has got his hat on always goes down a storm (with the coffin-dodger brigade)

Or why not go for a duet or even trio/feature (of you've got the players)

Tyrolean Tubas is cool (minus the Lederhosen of course) ;)
  15. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

If you want something serious but not too long Leslie Condon wrote himself a solo to play with the ISB called Celestial Morn, good solo, bit of a challenge but not unplayable. He also wrote a Eb & Bb bass duet, but I can't remember what that was called.
  16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The duet is "Radiant Pathway": it can be played as written for EEb & BBb, or there are options for 2 EEbs or for the top part going onto euph. If using BBb it needs a player reasonably comfortable at the top of the range - not got the part in front of me, but I seem to remember the top note is Db. On the whole, not too difficult, with a nice, sustained middle section.
  17. Am I ME?

Am I ME? Member

I've played Teddy Bears Pinic (Cliff Murrays arrangement) and Tuba Smarties (Denzil Stephens) and the Happy Famer all good for a laugh. In fact when I played Teddy bears I was dressed as a teddy and we did Happy Farmer (again dressed as farmers, complete with wellies)at a concert with 4 of us playing the solo part and lots of ad libbing - the public loved it
    Eb bass - Shanklin Town Brass Band, I.O.W
    Tutor - Shanklin Brass Academy
  18. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Tuba Tapestry is a fabulous piece, especially in the 'cadenza' type runs it has, with the light band accompaniment sections. Difficult to play as stated, but if you can pull it off, it's a crowd and player pleaser with a tuba solo that doesn't 'demean' the instrument (e.g. like 'Tuba Smarties' did for Herbie Flowers?! ;) ).

Interesting to see this thread as I was going to start one to ask for opinions/suggestions on decent, 'serious', BBb Tuba Solos and band accomp (e.g. not a solo for a BBb instrument, but BBb tuba-specific). :D Sorry to pinch this thread, but does anyone know of any for BBb that are of a good standard and sound reasonably modern? :)
  19. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Spose that rules out Nelly the elephant :cool: