Specialised Instrument Insurance - NON UK!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by nethers, Mar 14, 2011.

  1. nethers

    nethers Active Member

    Hi guys,

    In the UK (and the US!) you're pretty blessed with a selection of decent insurers who will give reasonably priced policies on brass instruments.

    However, here in NZ, not a bean. I can get it on a contents policy, but not much good if someone stands on it on stage etc.

    As I'm coming to the UK in May (any Spring Festival bands desperate? :p) I want to make sure my sexy Elkhart 8H is well covered.

    I have found larkinsurance.co.uk who are prepared to insure a non-UK resident, they look legit but a little pricey, but otherwise struggling.

    Anyone know of companies who will insure non-UK residents or Downunderians like me?

  2. murr

    murr Member

    You could try the British Brass Band Insurance Co. I don't know if they can help but it is worth checking it out.
  3. nethers

    nethers Active Member

    I have sent them an email, hope they have an idea.

    I know a lot of players would like a good insurance option down here, money to be made by some enterprising company!
  4. Oodle Bugler

    Oodle Bugler Member

    Try speaking to your Household Contents insurer or read your policy. In the UK you generally have contents covered at the home but also some allowance for "Personal Possessions" outside the home (intended to cover things like watches, jewellery, cameras, mobile phones, etc). It may be possible to add your instrument specifically to this section, just make sure the Sum Insured is sufficient to cover its replacement as new, most only give a relatively low total amount unless you specifically ask them to change it.

    For your trip to the UK (assuming it is only a trip) I would get some good Travel Insurance and add your instrument to it as a specified item. Again, make sure the Sum Insured is enough to replace it as new. (If you add it to your Household Contents policy under Personal Possessions as above, it may not give cover worldwide - outside the home may just mean within NZ for example).

    Whatever you do, read the small print and understand the exclusions. Most policies have them and they will typically exclude cover if its stolen from an unattended vehicle, left in an unlocked room, all the classic brass band situations really.
  5. nethers

    nethers Active Member

    My email to the brass band people bounced back... poo.

    Cheers for the advice Oodle, I've always preferred to keep my instrument insurance seperate from contents, but if there is no other way I will have to talk to them and convince them just how precious my trombone is!
  6. cockaigne

    cockaigne Member

    I'm not sure if they do short-term policies, but it might be worth checking out Hencilla Canworth - http://www.hencilla.co.uk/ - by far the best policy/deal I've ever had on my instruments.

    When and where are you going to be in the UK?

    All best,

  7. nethers

    nethers Active Member

    I'll send them an email, thanks.

    I'm back from the 4th - 28th May! Lurking around between Leicester and West Yorkshire mostly.
  8. P_S_Price

    P_S_Price Member

    Im insured with Orchestral Guard.
  9. nethers

    nethers Active Member

    UK residents only for those guys :(
  10. Oodle Bugler

    Oodle Bugler Member

    They would love you to keep it all seperate, the more policies you buy the more you pay.
  11. nethers

    nethers Active Member

    Apparently they don't love it enough to make sure their email address is correct!

    Are there insurers who will let you add an instrument on to contents cover at agreed value, including cover while in vehicles, on flights or accidentally damaged out of the house? And some kind of assurance that if the bell drops off it won't be replaced by a Chinese tin-foil one? Anyone you get on the phone in NZ about this is useless (and probably makes the tin-foil bells at weekends).

    I did have insurance (I think with musicguard) when I lived in the UK. When my trombone was damaged they were quick, knowledgable and understanding, sending it away for a perfect and speedy repair. Unsolicited endorsement!
  12. Chris Beaumont

    Chris Beaumont New Member

    Hi Marc,

    The only UK instrument insurance company that I'm aware of that will cover you for all of this are Allianz http://www.allianzmusicalinsurance.co.uk/contact-us/

    I'm not sure whether they will cover you as you're not a UK resident, but they might be able to arrange cover whilst you're in the UK and since Allianz is a global group, they may be able to suggest an Allianz partner company that will be able to give you similar cover you in NZ.

    On a general note, insuring instruments on a home contents policy may save you money in insurance premiums but will certainly cost you more in excess, time, hassle and of course increased premiums when you renew should you every have to make a claim.

    Hope this helps.

    Best wishes,

    Chris Beaumont
    Michael Rath Trombones

  13. P_S_Price

    P_S_Price Member

    Unless Ive been Lied to - My Orchestral Guard policy covers all of what you have said, and also includes Mechanical Breakdown (which I am assuming include Jammed valves etc)!
  14. cockaigne

    cockaigne Member

    I appreciate it may well come down to who is willing/able to offer you temporary insurance as a non-UK resident - and on this score agree that Allianz Cornhill would seem more likely as they are a global firm.

    However in terms of their policy cover, terms and conditions etc. I have found Hencilla Canworth (as I recommended earlier) to quote a much lower premium for cover equivalent to that which I had previously with Allianz.

    Insuring several instruments (to a total value nearing £10, 000) isn't cheap, but HC's premium was roughly half what I'd been paying Allianz - for exactly the same cover, terms, conditions and caveats. Furthermore, whilst with Allianz I'd frequently encountered difficulties when adding or amending policy details - my new policy would arrive with instruments incorrectly named/described, giving the impression that their call-centre staff didn't understand what I'd been telling them - and potentially making any claim more complicated, if I'd had to make one.

    It doesn't give a good impression, particularly when they claim to offer "the UK's leading music insurance" - all the more disturbing, then, that the last renewal notice brochure I received from them had a photo on the front of a guy holding a trombone the wrong way... details, I know, but it makes one wonder.

    Sorry, I didn't realise I had such an axe to grind with Allianz - I have no particular beef with them, but hope you don't mind me having shared my doubts.


Share This Page