Speaking problems

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 1alexm, Feb 10, 2006.

1. 1alexm

1alexm Member

Everyone makes fun of me because i cannot say my "r's", instead i say "w", for example: wodger wabbit wan awound the woundabout.
    I can say "R" as in "argh" and "or", i just can't say "r".

Does anyone else have a speaking problem like mine?
  2. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

I'm the same mate, stuggle with "r" never used to be able to say "th" always came out as "v" used to stutter fair bad as well....... speech therapy! There's no helping my "r's" though.... I'm always gonna be Lauwen!
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I don't, but my grandmother did. She couldn't say my mum's name (Lorraine) which always came out as Lollaine. She also couldn't say microwave, which came out as michaelwave. So since then, we have always referred to the microwave as Michael! e.g. "Just put that bowl into Michael for me please Mum"

It's weird, because some words she had no problem with the r's in it. Her own name was Priscilla Roberts, and she could say that OK!
  4. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

It's just some words I struggle with. I can't say brewery for example. It always comes out as Bwewewy! The really sad thing is is that I worked for one for 12 years!:oops:
  5. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I struggle with words like that too, but usually only after I have visited one :oops: :tongue:
  6. Steve

Steve Active Member

A friend of mine had a problem with words ending in ...culous / ....cula

We regularly go "its ridiclius", "Draclia, "Spectaclia" and random others thrown into sentences.
  7. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

It is very common in the Northeast US (Boston, particularly) to add an extra "r" onto some words, so that idea rhymes with clear, for example.

My mother is from Philadelphia, where most of the people pronounce eagle as iggle. And if you commit a crime, you might need liggle assistance.
  8. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I have a slight lisp and I can't say my r's very well. It's not very noticeable unless my voice is recorded when I sound like Violet Elizabeth from the Just William series (if any remembers that...)
  9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

But you still talk much better than most badgers do :biggrin: :oops:
  10. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

i sometimes have problems putting what i want to say in the right order when i say it. and i often mix up words, or put 2 words together and come up with something completely different.
  11. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

It's the snout and fangs, they get in the way...
  12. HANNAH

HANNAH Member

I don't have a lisp I just dont know what I'm saying half the time or how I'm saying it! I seem to forget what I was saying half way through. Things seem to get sl jumbled up and I pronounce things wrong. I went to the speech therapist for ages when I was younger, I guess it didn't really do much for me though!
  13. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

It's because your brain is working twice as fast as your mouth.

Unusual in a girl, that.:p
  14. i struggle saying TR. which is poo as i play trombone and ma bro plays trumpet!! it kinda comes out tvombone. well embarrassin!!
  15. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

I just can't talk proper :tongue:
    I sound stupid because I mix posh with common... I cant do just one of them. And I forget what Im going to say an talk to fast apparantly.

TIMBONE Active Member

Just remember that you are up there with famous people, like FRANK MUIR, the Cadbuwys fwuit and nut case, or JONATHAN ROSS, a top *ank presenter. I like it when people have little idiosincrasys in their speech, I certainly remember them. My old teenage friend (that's a long time ago), who tried and tried to say 'denim', but much as he tried, it still came out 'demin'. A church minister who had a problem with 'S', I will never forget him trying to announce a book named "Reminiscenses of Smith Wigglesworth.

There may be the odd word I have problems with, but I can't merember any ta the memont. Mind you, looking at the first paragraph, I think my spelling has deteriorateded. Anyway, I mast go, I was just pi*sing by.
  17. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I can usually Spoonerise with the best of them but I've beaten that this time!

I went down with laryngitis on Wednesday!!!! And I can't say ANYTHING!!!! (Beaker's enjoying the peace!)

Rach x
  18. ju33les

ju33les Member

All I can add is....WELEASE WODERICK......:biggrin:
  19. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

when i was younger i too had problems with my 'r's and 'w's all my family used to torment and ask me to say 'round the ragged rock the ragged rascal ran' which i never succeded to get to the end of. I still have problems saying things like 'burgular', 'specific' and loads more that just going wrong when ive had a beer or 2.
    It just help make me the crazy person i am.
  20. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Well from what I heard you r's is fine now! :biggrin: