Sparklyland Articles: Brass Bands and Evolution....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sparkling_quavers, Apr 24, 2004.

1. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

As part of the new look of my site, sparklyland, I shall be writing a number of features. These are meant to be thought/discussion provoking!

The first entitled 'Brass Bands: Is evolution the key?' will be in 4 short installments......instalment 1 is up on the site....

Have a read and let me know your thoughts!!.... the article is linked directly from the homepage.
  2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Enjoyed the website! I could write a tome on brass bands and what the gospel according to Dave 'Excruciating' Payn should dictate, evolution wise! But in the end, I still keep going back for more, so it can't all be that bad! Look, I didn't say 'French horns', OK?? ;-)

Keep the articles coming. Sparkly.

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Some interesting observations there, Sparkly!

One point to bear in mind, with the theory of evolution, is that it is quite possible that differing atrains or even species will develop to meet the requirements of a variety of habitats and environments. Taking that line with the evolution of banding is quite interesting, as it could point to different approaches regarding both repertoire and presentation, or even size and instrumentation chosen, depending on the setting, audience etc.

Look forward to reading more as future instalments appear.
  4. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

Darwinian method...

Very well constructed website and article, I congratulate you on your wizardry.

Just a thought, I agree totally about the two perspectives of Lamarck and Darwin. But doesn't the fact that bands do not have a substantial problem with certain characterisitcs of our external culture. I'm of course talking about areas of society having extreme racial discrimination, lack of discipline, lack of respect for elders and those in positions of authority. Banding continues to show players, even in today's society, all of the aspects I've mentioned above. Whilst other musical genres have pandered to the culture, showing and discussing violence, drugs and immoral behaviour.

My observations are that whilst there are many who wish for a more trendy and uptodate image of banding, in all respects, like myself, it is interesting to note that had banding changed with culture and society would we have as many problems as the modern society that we live in ? As an organism that has isolated itself from nearly if not all mainstream music, hence the old images, the development of banding has been slow and often mundane, but has in its own way kept the characteristics which is obviously missing in the external society.

So, as you have said the evolution of banding will hopefully be very selective of what would be a good move and what will be a bad move ? But who knows what would be a good move in the near future and what would be a bad mood for the long term and vice versa. What also must be considered is the subsequent results of any changes, who knows what they might bring about. It will be interesting to see.

As I said earlier good site and keep up the good work on the articles.