Spare Floor Tom

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BrianT, Sep 8, 2009.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone have a floor tom they don't need any more? This is to use as part of a GCSE art project - current thinking is to remove the hardware, strip it back to the wood and then paint portraits on the internal and external surfaces, and then replace the hardware and put transparent skins on it. I'd prefer free, but would pay reasonable amount just for the one drum. It'd be a waste to do this to a new one. Please PM me if you can help...
  2. BrianT

BrianT Member

Just in case you saw this the first time round, but it slipped your mind - has anyone got a spare floor tom?
  3. Matt the Shed

Matt the Shed Member

bung a message up on in the 'I need help!' section - loads of really helpful drummers on there - much less bickering on there as well!

let us know how you get on with the project.
  4. BrianT

BrianT Member

Just did as you suggested. Have to wait for some replies now...
  5. BrianT

BrianT Member

Progress to date...

Well, we bought a floor tom (old Premier with hardware + transparent skins) from the nice chap at Russell Acott in Botley and he threw in a spare shell (also Premier with no hardware or skins) for "practising on".

At the weekend I bought some varnish stripper and some sanding blocks, and I've already removed the heads and hardware and started stripping the varnish. Residual varnish means the wood is still a bit dark at the moment - I think it'll be a few hours work to get the last of the varnish off. Also, some of the varnish has bled through the h/w mounting holes to the interior of the drum where it shows up a lot against the very pale wood, so I'll have to strip the interior too. Work continues...