Spamming another bands website

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by ophicliede, Oct 26, 2009.

1. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

I was recently made aware of another local band in our home town using the key words from the youth band and adult band that I am associated with on their website.
    The webmaster of our band website had found that if you highlighted the homepage of this other band it showed both the name of the adult band and the youth band.
    This is apparently frowned upon by by the major search engines and I think a little bit sad and immature on the part of the other band. I really don't know what they hope to achieve by doing this. I did forward the copy of the home page with those key words highlighted and they then disappeared only to be written into some new script on their footer note.

2. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

You could name and shame! As you have asked them once, and they have refused to comply, and since they then deliberately went ahead and redid the same thing in another way you should get in touch with their ISP and complain.
  3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

It may be completely ineffective too. References, metatags and links on other sites boosts the referenced site far more than the referer. WebBots crawl the internet and usually boost subjects and sites referenced by others.

I agree its a bit dodgy why they're doing it, but as far as I'm aware its not unlawful. And just think, anybody surfing their name is likely to be presented with your band in a subsequent link. They may actually be doing you a favour.
  4. kp51

kp51 Member

Google ignores keywords, says man from Google

I think what you're describing matches the situation of Alice and Bob in the post + video from Google's Matt Cutts, Nice to have these things from the horse's mouth for a change.
    :rolleyes: KP
  5. Blow Hard

Blow Hard New Member

If you search Google, Yahoo or Bing for the name of the adult band or the youth band does the offending website appear in the search results? If so you can always report the offenders to the SE. They will remove the listing if it violates their rules (sometimes).