Space the final frontier & music ideas

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jpbray, May 7, 2004.

1. jpbray

jpbray Member

Does anyone have any ideas for good 4th/3rd section music, with a space theme. :?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    frontier
    no-one
    couple
    pieces
    music ideas
  3. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Alzo Sprach Zarathustra. (serious sp.)
    Planets.
    A Child is Born. (tenuous)

4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

galaxies

5. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

isn't there a band arrangement of Apollo 13 film music?
    If not, there should be

6. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

lost in space...
    may be appearing at a whit friday near you
    music of the spheres..?

7. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

'Tis on the CD called "Friends" by Stan Lippeatt... it's lovely.

I have also played some good arrangements of Star Wars music and Star Trek. Unfortunately I can't remember who arranged them.

I heard Johnstone band play Also Sprach Zarathustra (from 2001: A Space Odyssey) at Whitburn one year.

Loadsa music available!

8. jpbray

jpbray Member

I had quick look on the net for APOLLO 13, I found an arrangement by
    K.Wardle on http://www.justmusicuk.com/; but I don't what the arrangement is like.

9. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Can certainly recommend flahbarry's Star Trek arrangements!

Also, I believe Studio Music publish Chris Wormald's arrangement of Star Trek, TNG.

11. Keppler

with the klingon music at the end of it.... (best bit)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    frontier
    no-one
    couple
    pieces
    music ideas
  13. If you want to sink really low you could always play one of the many crappy arrangements of star wars.....

14. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

...now that's low!

15. Keppler

Steve Sykes' arrangement of SW isn't bad. Is simplified, but is not pretencious, and does the job quite well.

16. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

voyager

I wondered if anyone had done "Star Trek Voyager" - now I know! Well done Dazza, ( that's what my wife calls you), it will save me the trouble!!!

I did an extended arrangement of the original Star Trek theme for wind band in the 80's, a real 'trekkie' arrangement! Unfortunately, the copyright has been blocked on this original Alexander Courage tune, so I cannot re-score it for brass band - as a 'part time' trekkie, it has interfered with my warp coils, ruined my conduits, and sent me into permanent red alert. Oh well, live long and prosper.

17. BrassNeil

BrassNeil New Member

Adrain Drover's arr of Star Wars is pretty good but you will need a good drummer and a fairly strong sound from the horns

18. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

The film score for Lost in Space (as opposed to the original TV soundtrack music, which was written by a relatively young John Williams) was written by Bruce Broughton, who wrote a fine Tuba Sonata/Concerto. He also wrote Masters of Space and Time. Even though the latter may fit in your "space" theme, I'm not sure if you'd want to perform that piece. It was jointly commissioned by NABBA and the British Open. My understanding is that it was used by NABBA for the Championship Section Test Piece, but was so disliked that the British Open used something else. True?

19. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Played that one with YBS Juniors, who were probably about 4th section standard at the time. It's tricky enough to keep you on your toes, but when played well, has a really good sound to it. (Whether you like star trek or not!)

Well worth a look-see and blow-through.

20. Neil Bowden

Neil Bowden New Member

I wrote a piece called STARCHASER a few years ago. It was commissioned for the American launch of the British entry in an international rocket competition. The piece has been performed many times and always seems to go down well with players and audiences! It lasts about 5 mins and is available through JAGRINS music publishing.

I also have another piece called ANOTHER WORLD which sounds very 'spacey' and has recently been performed by YBS.

I have a demo CD available if you like!

21. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Might be pushing it a bit... just my opinion though... :wink:

22. jpbray

jpbray Member

Yes please; this thread was started because our band has been asked to summer job that has a space theme, and we want to enter into the spirit of things. The suggestions to date have been splendid, and anymore would be most welcome :D :D

PS. Neil: my home e-mail address is posted alongside my profile. Many thanks