Space Cadets

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by brassneck, Dec 8, 2005.

What R your credentials for being a space cadet?

1. I would be suckered into it!

7 vote(s)
  2. I would spot a hoax a mile away!

4 vote(s)
  3. I would eventually suss it out!

4 vote(s)
  4. Who cares?

5 vote(s)
  1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

With this new hoax programme being broadcast on Channel 4, are you the type of personality who could be lulled into believing that you were going to be trained as a space tourist? What are your reasons for thinking so or vice versa?
  2. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

if its aswell put together as this seems to be, i know id be well taken in!!!
    im actually enjoying watching it, think some of it is well funny!
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It looks better than Big Bruv already! (Mixed dormitory as well ;) )
  4. andyp

andyp Active Member

I think most people would be suckered, how do you tell the difference between "reality" TV which is about as fake as it gets, and fake "reality TV"?
  5. HBB

HBB Active Member

I think it's great! I think I would fall for it.. even the zero gravity bit! :D
  6. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

It was going to happen eventually. Reality TV was bound to end up here because some many people want their 15 minutes of fame these days.
  7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

The amazing power of suggestion eh...? anyone would think tMP was going through a detailed and complex upgrade procedure during the next week eh ;)
  8. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I would have twigged on tonight's show... that tank was clearly british... A Warrior I believe? (Guess who's sister works in a tank factory.....)
  9. six pints

six pints Active Member

id like to say with my vast knowledge i physics i wouldnt be sucked in

but i am VERY gullible :(
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I watched the first programme and was not particularly impressed - certainly not enough to sit glued to the others.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find we are the ones on the end of the hoax, and that they are all in on the thing from the start.
  11. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

I watched it for the 1st time last night and i think its well funny. How dence are these people. But is what makes it funny. Your going in to space guys but you wont be weightless!!!!!! :clap: :clap:

I think i would have smelled a rat by then.

I like the idea that they have planted a couple of actors in the group with them to stir things up. And the actor guy who has nearly wrecked the programme already is really funny.

I normally hate reality TV shows but this one is very good.

But has anyone thought that they all could be actors and the hoax is on us. MMMMMM :eek:
  12. Key2207

Key2207 Member

that was metioned in the paper today.

I don't watch the show it sounds a bit strange and wierd to me!!

Big Brother is the best reality TV show and channel 4 just try to make other reality shows that are as good...

...but they never do.

Remember that one where all the contesants were competing to stay awake the longest?

That was the most boring thing ever. But it did make me fall asleep!! ;)
  13. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

How do they not know it is a hoax? Have they not read the papers or seen TV for the last 3 months when this was first announced? :confused:

Either this has been pre-recorded (in which case C4 will already know if it is a success or not), or they have kept the contestants in an hermetically sealed box for 3 months, or they are the dimmest people on the planet!

<Geordie accent> You decide! </Geordie accent>

14. Steve

Steve Active Member

Anyone can be hoaxed if its done right. The power of suggestion is amazing and some peoples ability to convince someone of something is phenomenal.
  15. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

The power of persuasion is indeed extremely effective, and many reasonable people may get swayed in to believing it all - just as some people do with these pathetic hypnotising shows... it is all about this power of persuasion. Why do you think they filtered out so many people, pretending it was to test for claustrophobia having been stuck in a lift, or for exhibitionism by dancing without music and wearing dark light sealing glasses!!! I am sure it was to look for those who were most easily influenced by other peoples opinions, and for those who felt were the most fitting to be led!

OK, so persuasion is very powerful, but come on.... would you believe there was no gravity at 130 miles up???? or that there was a space monkey called Minski... phah!!! Even if you were influenced by others and took it in, when you were on your own and not able to be influenced you would think about it logically, realise that this is how satellites remain up there at similar altitudes, and then you'd start to have doubts. You might then talk to a confidante about it and the thing is whammied...!!!
  16. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

And some people believe tMP is real too!!!!!!
  17. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

The show wasn't announced until 3 weeks ago, until then the people taking part thought they were applying for a "thrill-seeking" reality type show. The promotional output actually started the day they participants were taken to the base.

I understand that some might think they are all in on it, but remember the members of the press would love to bust Channel 4 for that and so they would have looked into all of the people taking part and we would have known by now.

It's just a fact that people are susceptible to it. As for the weighlessness thing, there was an interview on Radio 5 this week where the producer said that the cotestants were told that they would not be going into "deep" space but on the edge of the earth atmosphere hence there would be gravity. Complete bobbins of course but then again people who may have the scientific kind of mind were ditched at the interview stage.
  18. HBB

HBB Active Member

Has anyone seen Ryan (the scruffy scottish one with long hair) in the Give Blood comercial? Does this add to the fact that they coudl all be actors!
  19. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Caught the Satellite Show last night after the programme. They wasted time talking to boring friends of cretinous contestant so there wasn't enough time to talk to interesting man who thought whole space programme was a hoax anyway. Wanted to hear more from him.

20. BOB_

BOB_ Member

the biggest givaway that it is a hoax is the act that it takes years of intensive training to go into space and people are tested in much more relevent ways, i would have been kicked out too early because i know too much.